5.7 Short block Turbo that will fit in a 1985 Monte Carlo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I looked at the parts you linked In post 15. They are not going to work on your 4.3 from a G-body as far as I can tell. If you went that route, then how do you intend to tune that PCM? The parts you linked are not plug and play.

Reactions: 1 user

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
Dude, you’re not understanding the terminology.

Regarding the V6, heads are interchangeable in all 4.3’s but you have to you the correct style intake, and rockers for the heads you choose. Vortec is newer, but there are varying vortec V6 intakes.

Regarding the V8, all stock Gen 1 SBC heads are compatible on a 327 and larger displacement Gen 1 SBC. Again, you have to use the correct rockers for the head type. The Vortec intake is different than the non Vortec.

What was referenced above is a SBC (8 cylinder) based V6. The 4.3 V6 head they were referencing is a SBC head design minus one cylinder.

All Gen 1 SBC motor mounts are the same and have the same transmission bolt pattern.

As mentioned previously, you’re getting tangled up in terminology. The other posters know exactly what will and won’t work from what I’m reading.

If you have a SBC with TBI from a truck from the late 80’s to late 90’s, then you can use Vortec V8 heads. But you will need a different intake than what was on the truck originally. And if you want to use the stock cam and valvettain, then you will need the rockers from the Vortec heads as well. The Vortec rockers are referred to as self aligning. There is an option to use the older style rockers, but you will need to upgrade the heads to screw in rocker studs and buy pushrod guide plates.
Well, at least I understood what you just spelled out that time. That makes total sense.

Would I be better off just dropping in this whole new vortech engine? I understand the exhaust and tbi would have to go. I just don't want to have to have the mounts moved/welded.

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
I looked at the parts you linked In post 15. They are not going to work on your 4.3 from a G-body as far as I can tell. If you went that route, then how do you intend to tune that PCM? The parts you linked are not plug and play.
Oh I have a guy for tuning,
he said I'll need an aftermarket ECU.

Ryan Gick
Sinister Performance, LLC.
Waterloo, Indiana USA

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I would just keep it simple with a 350+ SBC swap that will bolt right in and meet your power goals, depending on your budget you have mild to wild as far as power.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
I would just keep it simple with a 350+ SBC swap that will bolt right in and meet your power goals, depending on your budget you have mild to wild as far as power.
I'm afraid to make people mad, but there doesn't seem to be a way to "bolt a 350 sbc" right in without moving the motor mounts and changing over almost everything under the hood. My biggest problem is moving the motor mounts; having someone come out why I try to make sure that the engine is level (while attached to the bellhousing/transmission) and mark the spots and then weld in new mounts for me is something I'm not sure I can get right.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have never swapped the chevy V6 only the Buick V6 for a SBC which requires different mounts and different locations if your V6 mounts are as pictured being mounted forward on the frame and only using only 3 bolts then a SBC will bolt right in.
1644703199039.png

• Useful
  • Agree

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Would I be better off just dropping in this whole new vortech engine? I understand the exhaust and tbi would have to go. I just don't want to have to have the mounts moved/welded.
Another 4.3 dropping in is the easiest part & the exhaust can stay since the '78 up Chevy V6 use the same bolt/port pattern. As for the mounts, three bolts each side on the frame, no welding needed. Keep in mind there is still more aftermarket support for a SBC than the Chevy V6. Best advice I'll give is to take a step back, check into what there is to turbo a 350/5.7 with the cost. Then do the same with a 4.3 to include swapping a Typhoon/Syclone set up.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'd be happy with 310-330 HP, this will be a daily driver for me/my main take the kids to school car and go to work.
Basing on this I wouldn't waste time with another V6 or a turbo on anything.

• Agree

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
The 4.3 uses different frame mounts mounted further back but the holes are in the cross member to put the V8 clamshell bases in no welding required. Then you need the upper engine bracket which has to come out of a car about 1974 and up the truck brackets are taller. The clam shell bases are generic parts house available. If you can't find the engine brackets UMI makes a nice set that are reasonably priced.

If you want to go V8 the best thing to do is get a complete engine with all accessories on the front, exhaust manifolds and Y pipe and the flexplate.

Looks like an 85 4.3 uses the same flexplate as an 85 305.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

arlowf

Apprentice
Feb 11, 2022
I have never swapped the chevy V6 only the Buick V6 for a SBC which requires different mounts and different locations if your V6 mounts are as pictured being mounted forward on the frame and only using only 3 bolts then a SBC will bolt right in.
View attachment 192237
I'll have to look, but at least I know what to look for. I also just learned I don't have to weld anything...

Basing on this I wouldn't waste time with another V6 or a turbo on anything.
I assume you mean the "daily driver" part; because the stock 4.3 doesn't get near 300HP. You're saying drop in a v8, but no turbo.
Another 4.3 dropping in is the easiest part & the exhaust can stay since the '78 up Chevy V6 use the same bolt/port pattern. As for the mounts, three bolts each side on the frame, no welding needed. Keep in mind there is still more aftermarket support for a SBC than the Chevy V6. Best advice I'll give is to take a step back, check into what there is to turbo a 350/5.7 with the cost. Then do the same with a 4.3 to include swapping a Typhoon/Syclone set up.
The syclone setup is... complicated. People love them but you can't just find a Syclone setup anymore. Basically it's a lot of time and money to get a vortec 4.3 swapped in and turbo it because you're starting with a v6 that isn't a Vortec and the ecu doesn't support tuning.
I have look at the 5.7 TBI engine though as that is the most recommended swap for this exact situation. That's going to take moving the motor mounts though. At this point, and based on what you just said, I need to revisit exactly what that means; apparently it may not mean welding.

The 4.3 uses different frame mounts mounted further back but the holes are in the cross member to put the V8 clamshell bases in no welding required. Then you need the upper engine bracket which has to come out of a car about 1974 and up the truck brackets are taller. The clam shell bases are generic parts house available. If you can't find the engine brackets UMI makes a nice set that are reasonably priced.

If you want to go V8 the best thing to do is get a complete engine with all accessories on the front, exhaust manifolds and Y pipe and the flexplate.

Looks like an 85 4.3 uses the same flexplate as an 85 305.
Sounds like you've done this before (v6 to v8 in a g-body)?
I'm definitely getting a complete engine (5.7L); i'm currently trying to figure out whether to stick with a TBI like others have done, or switch to carbureted, which is what others recommend. I think i'm supposed to go carbureted if I want to start turboing things down the road or using aftermarket chips/tuners/ecus.

I just learned what a flex plate was and a clam shell mount after googling what you said; thank you.

Here is the engine I'm looking at swapping in (5.7's), I'd love some alternate (better) options if you know of any. This is for a TBI, what the people in other monte threads have done.

Engine Option 1:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor