500 Caddy/Monte Clip into El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 500 Caddy into El Camino

The drivetrain portion of the mockup is done and the El Camino is back on the ground with the hood back on. With the stock Monte Carlo hood I’m able to run both a 1” spacer and 2” aircleaner. In spite of some things being a bit snug, everything looks like it’s going to be very serviceable and relatively easy to get to.

mockupdone.jpg

engmockup.jpg

I’ve moved on to the Hot Rod Air AC/Heat/Defrost unit I picked up a while back. I had heard good things about their units and customer service. My dealing with them were not real satisfactory however (a lot of run around about when it would be shipped etc) and I finally bought a unit from one of their dealers. I have since heard they have gone out of business (leaving some of their customers hanging on stuff they had paid for or control panels they had sent in for modifications). Hopefully the quality of the units is as good as I have heard and I get a good service life out if it. I have checked out the electrical and vacuum systems on the unit and everything seems to work well.

The unit I bought is the biggest one they make and in retrospect one of the smaller ones might have fit a bit better as it is a bit snug. The first thing I did was get slid in about where I wanted with the dash still installed doing a little trimming as I went. I will end up having to modify the inside of my glove box a bit and will lose some storage space, but since I added a console it really doesn’t matter.

AC2-1.jpg

I then removed the dash and built some simple brackets to hold the unit.

ACBRaclets3.jpg

I really hadn’t planned it, but the location where I the unit ended up being directly under the existing ducting system for the dash vents and defroster.

AC1-1.jpg

Rather than re-invent the wheel and run a bunch of flexible tubing I decided to tie into the existing system. This involved some re-shaping. I formed what I needed to with metal tape, which is fairly easy to work with and stiff enough to hold its shape so fiberglass can be spread on it.

boxmod1.jpg

Once I had the shape I needed I was just add a couple layers of fiberglass. To tie into the defroster ducts, I ended up building an enclosure completely over the outlets on the HRA units. I didn’t spend a whole lot of time making it real smooth on the outside as once it’s installed for the final time nobody will ever see it again LOL.

boxmod2.jpg

To seal the unit to the ducting I used a piece of soft foam. It compresses very nicely and does a good job.

Seal1.jpg

sealvent.jpg

The last thing I did was to reinstall the dash and check the air flow through the ducts. I did a direct comparison between this system and the wife’s 84 El Camino with factory AC. The airflow thru the dash vents is at least as good as the factory setup and the amount of floor air flow is better. The defrosters do not flow as well as the factory setup but it should still be sufficient.

ACDon.jpg

The next thing I want to work on is trying to make the unit work with the factory controls. I had originally figured on using the controls provided with the HRA unit but the more I look at them I’d really prefer to keep the factory controls. I need to track down the color coding for the vacuum lines on the original controls but looking at it should not be too major of a job.

HRACOntrols.jpg

It's shaping up nicely, Mike.
You will certainly have a distinctive unique ride when it's done. Keep up the good work. 🙂
Please keep the progress pics coming.

Well I’ve finished up the controls for the Hot Rod Air set up. I spent Sunday tracing down the vacuum and electrical circuits on the stock controls as I couldn’t find any diagrams for them…..AHH quality time with an Ohm meter and vacuum pump .

Using the supplied controls would not have been hard but I don’t think I would have been happy with how the control panel looked compared to the factory setup. I also kind of feel that using the 3 electrically controlled vacuum solenoids (one to change modes from dash vents to floor heat, one for defrost, and one to turn on and off the heater (water) control valve) was a bit over complicated, let alone having to mount all the solenoids. Also with the vacuum controlled heater control valve the heater would either be full on or full off. I do like the feature of the AC temp control switch that controls the amount of AC cooling by cycling the compressor so I will be retaining that feature.

controlslayout1.jpg

When all was said and done this is what the modified control panel looks like. Vacuum to the HRA vacuum pods is now directly controlled by the switch, and instead of a vacuum heater control (water) valve it is cable operated so I can regulate the temperature from the stock slide lever. I have all 3 fan speeds from the stock switch fan switch and the whole unit is shut down by the mode lever just like the OE setup. I’ll be mounting the HRA AC temp switch right beside the controls in the hole the lighter normally goes in. If I choose I can even have “blend” (heat and AC) on the defrost setting. It works just like the OE setup with the exception of not having the ability to draw outside air in the vent position (an option I did not order with the HRA setup as I never use it anyway).

modstcont.jpg

I am kind of glad I went this route from the standpoint of being able to get replacement parts. I have a couple of spare OE controls laying around so I have spare switches etc should I ever need them.

Yep, looks much more gooder than usin' them extra buttons & knobs & stuff 😀 I'm kind of wondering what I'm going to wind up doing myself. I'd like to go a route somewhat similar to you or FE3X_CLONE have gone, I think that factory A/C box is downright dirtbag-ugly!

I actually hadn’t given too much thought to the windows on the El Camino. I figured that would be a simple drop them in and bolt them up. As a matter of fact I was going to leave them in the original doors until all the paint and body work was done and install them during the final assembly. I was actually getting ready to move the doors to a storage shed this morning when I noticed there were a couple of changes that needed to be made.

Because the El Camino windows angle forward in the back the window the sweeps are moved forward. The El Camino sweeps are also considerably wider. There is also a guide pin on the El Camino that the Monte doesn’t have.

Montesweeps.jpg

ELSweeps.jpg

MOnteelsweep.jpg

guidepin.jpg

So I got to spend a little time with the drill, cut off wheel and welder (after I cut off the pinch weld area I welded the top and ground it flat for the guide pin). I wasn’t a hard mod but one I hadn’t expected.

drdone.jpg

Rock Thanks for the tip on the steering shaft. I just did the change over a little bit ago I did have to put a small notch in mine for the upper clamp bolt, but other than that it dropped right in. What was surprising is you can actually feel that it is smoother than the stock shaft…….plus it got me out of taking the old trunion joint apart to lube it and replace the boot LOL.
shaftin.jpg

I’ve just been doing little stuff the last couple of weeks (pretty much just putting off taking it all apart to start the body work).

I’m running a 1” spacer under the carb so all the brackets had to be spaced up accordingly. I also got the brackets built for the cruise control vacuum pod.

carbbrackets.jpg

With the AC removed from under the hood I had planned on building a tray so any rain water would be diverted from just running down the firewall. Someone had mentioned that there was a company that makes the very piece I was going to fabricate which saved me a bunch of time and aggravation. It’s kind of hard to get a good picture of it but it is a really nice finishing touch when using the AC Delete panel.

Pannel2.jpg

cowlpiece3.jpg

Getting ready to pull the back window there was one last surprise for me. The truck had had a tonneau cover at one point and when I pulled the front strip that it attached to and the window trim this is what I found. On the bright side it should be a fairly easy fix.

backwindow-1.jpg

I guess next week I’ll get serious about getting it pulled apart.

Yeah, who da thought? LOL Actually I think the truck spent at least a little time in the mid west.

I got back window out yesterday (what a PIA). I found a bit of rust under one of the sail panels. The rust here I’ll take care of myself. The one thing I need now is the little rail thing that goes on the inside of the cab under the rear plastic garnish piece, it screwed on so not a big deal to replace….it’s just finding a good one.

It’s kind of a double edged sword, I started with this body because I didn’t have anything tied up in it and if I didn’t like the results I wouldn’t be out anything but time. As I like the way it’s coming out I now almost wish I’d started with a nicer one but I’ve got too much time in this to start over. Anyway these issues aren’t really show stoppers just a little more time added. I know guys elsewhere start with a lot worse.

I know what you mean. My '78 is sitting up in Michigan & I drove out to MO thinking it was in good shape, but it needs floor work, some minor rocker work, a small section of the firewall replaced, bottom of the driver's a-pillar, trunk floor work, already had a bit of body work done on it, etc. We're working on the frame and everything is very slow going because it's up there and I'm out here, and the only access to a welder right now is my cousin's (who is leary - with good reason - about loaning any of his pricey tools out). A couple months ago my aunt rents a house nearby, and I notice a '79 Malibu sitting in front of a house. At first I just think cool, another Malibu, but it looks like it hasn't moved the entire time they've lived there. It has tags through 2011, but I'm not sure when the last time it moved is. It's very tempting to ask if they're interested in getting rid of it, but at the same time if I get that I wouldn't have the room/space/funds to build a 350 for the truck (wheezy old 4.3 right now). I'm quite torn at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor