500 Caddy/Monte Clip into El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 500 Caddy into El Camino

Thanks Vern.

I picked up a “G” style oil pump from MTS, it’s still snug, but as the truck is currently up on stands and the suspension is unloaded I think I will pick up a little bit more room without having to space the sway bar down.

GOilPump.jpg

I spent the last week doing exhaust. Like everything else on this it’s tight too. On the passenger side I had to trim the flange a bit just to get it to fit and on the drivers side there is less than 1/2" clearance between the flange and frame. I’ll probably use a bit of heat and BFH to gain a little frame clearance once I get the engine back out……I don’t need a lot but a bit more would be nice.

pass2.jpg

driversflange3.jpg

When everything was fitted and tacked I pulled the pipe out and welded it all together. I used a couple of ball and socket joints at the mufflers to the whole head pipe can be dropped if I ever have to pull the crossmember and or transmission.

HeadXpipe.jpg

headpipeinstallled.jpg

I was really kind of wondering how the tail pipes would fit. When I did the wife’s 84 El Camino last year I used 2 1/4" tail pipes over the stock 7.5 rear end and it was tight. The 2 1/2” flowmaster tailpipes actually fit very well, but I suspect that part of that is due to the Lakewwood upper control arms being a lot narrower than the stock stamped ones.

ltailpipe.jpg

lrtailpipes.jpg

The tail pipes coming out behind the rear tires came out pretty good too. I still have a bit of welding to do and add one more hanger and some tail pipe tips but the exhaust is pretty much done.

tailpipe-1.jpg

tailpipetip.jpg

The x pipe looks real good. I know a lot of people port or cone the exhaust manifold outlet to a full 2.5" to match the 2.5" pipe. The manifold outlet and pipe coming from it to the X is your most important for performance. Its not headers but all it takes is a little time. Cars coming along. 8)

Thanks Vern.

With the exhaust done, I decided to start on start on the steering column swap. The one that was in the El Camino needs a bit of work (the tilt is loose and it needs at least a turn signal switch) and I have a decent one so I figured I swap them out and go back into the one I took out at a later time and and rebuild it for a future project or to sell.

The column I have is like the one I took out, it's for a column shift and as I've converted to a floor shift I wnet ahead and took the lever off and removed the nub.

It's not that big of a project. I cut the nub off with a cut off wheel and then use an angle grinderto smooth it out.

Nubcutoff.jpg

Fill the hole with body filler and sand.

Filler.jpg

And then prime.

Primer.jpg

It beats searching for a floor shift column (and is a bunch cheaper).

wont the puddy interfere with the internals of the steering colum? id think it would fill up some gaps that need to move and when ya turn it itll break off inside the colum and clog or gum up some of the works. just a thought.

"....wont the puddy interfere with the internals of the steering colum? id think it would fill up some gaps that need to move and when ya turn it itll break off inside the colum and clog or gum up some of the works. just a thought....."

Thanks for bringing that up. Re-reading my post I forgot to metion I used a small wad up tape in the hole so there wouldn't be a lot of filler in the hole (the thickness of the filler is only around 1/4"). The piece you see in the hole is is only the spring that provided resistance to the shift lever when you pulled it back. The collar still rotates smoothly as it should (and needs to to activate the shift indicator and backup light switch).

While the column was out I also replaced the rag joint and also resealed the steering box. I had heard about people moving the column over for a little more clearance on some swaps, with the column out I could see that elongating the bolt holes on the base plate would allow that. Slotting the base plate was pretty straight forward with a die grinder.

elongatedholes.jpg

The slots and moving the column actually gave I bit more room than I expected. I’m pretty happy with the clearance to the exhaust now.

columnover.jpg

It also moves the shift lever over giving just a bit more clearance. I also picked up just a bit more clearance when I found out the shift linkage from the Monte Carlo I parted out was only 1/4” instead of the thicker 3/8” linkage that came with the 83 El Camino. I really don’t know why they made the linkage in 2 different sizes, they were both column shift cars and the bends in the rods are identical. I guess it’s just one of those things that make you go HMMM.

3814.jpg

In spite of the extra clearance there was still an interference problem between the linkage and exhaust manifold. The solution I used was to re-drill the linkage holes closer into the pivot points (If you do one you have to do both as otherwise it changes the ratio between the 2 arms and will prevent the shifter from going into low gear, not read correctly on the shift indicator or turn on the backup lights in the correct gear.).

redriledarm.jpg

secondhole.jpg

So the floor shifter now rotates the collar giving me the backup lights, neutral safety switch and shift indicator, and the column locks the shifter in park when the key is shut off (just like the original floor shift cars).

So in retrospect I could have retained the column shift and split bench after all. I’m not complaining though, the major reason I didn’t want to go with the floor shift was cost and finding the parts….and I did do OK on the price of the parts so it’s kind of a wash.

Lookin' good 😀

I finally got stuff figured out far as emissions go as well... so long as the vehicle has collector car insurance on it, it's exempt from testing, period. No sniffer or anything, and I'm pretty sure that goes for both Phoenix and Tucson... so if you ever move to either of those areas, be sure to look into it. You just need proof of collector car insurance when you go to the DMV and past that everything should be gravy.

It is good to know (believe me I have NO intention of moving to either place though). You never know when IO might decide to sell off some of the herd.................and I have very little that wqould even pass the visual portion of the test.

Looks good, you did every thing I didn't. :rofl: Im putting a caddy in a Malibu wagon, mine doesn't fit quite so easy. I used headers and cadco's motor mounts. Im using a B&M floor shifter because my column shifter would never worked. I still need seats, exhaust, and a few other things but she's getting there. I left my car and the engine all rusted, with the paint flaking off, and greasy. I of course did a minor rebuild on it, but didn't really need to. Mine is a 500CI 10:1 motor, Im using a TH400, and will be building a 9". Something you might want to consider is a grand cherokee steering shaft. If you get one from a 95-98 it has U-joints at each end and helps a lot with clearance issues. Yours looks great, but eliminating the rag joint might be a good idea. I posted a few pix, it's almost exactly what I wanted.

Attachments

• caddybu1.jpg
    caddybu1.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,258
  • caddybu2.jpg
    caddybu2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,267
  • pas side header.jpg
    pas side header.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 2,260
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor