500 Caddy/Monte Clip into El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 500 Caddy into El Camino

Now that you mention it, I need to paint my engine & crap for the truck too :x

Last week was a good one. The engine and transmission went in without a hitch (took about ½ hour working alone). Slotting the one mount worked out really well. I mounted and balanced the new tires and wheels, then spent most of the rest of the time working on the underside of the El Camino.

engin.jpg

nohood.jpg

I got the drive shaft in and the exhaust on. The little bit of time spent with the torch and hammer making a bit of extra room for the exhaust flanges also worked out really well.

Drivers side before and after

driversflange3.jpg

driversexh.jpg

Passenger side before and after:

pass2.jpg

passexh.jpg

A lot of the aftermarket G Body El Camino fuel tanks have internal venting problems that prevent proper filling to include this one (ask me how I know LOL). Before I installed the new tank I installed an external vent line t cure the problem.

extvent.jpg

With any luck the hood will go back on tomorrow and Friday the front and back glass should go in. I’m hoping to be to the point of firing it up this coming weekend and getting the cam broken in.

you make me jealous like a school boy who got his boyfriend stolen.

I swear I have wondered how difficult it would be to put a caddy 500 in an el camino. I used to have a 78 super sport and I wanted to do it so bad but never had the guts.

It looks friggen sweet man, The monte front end is awesome, you look like a quality over pace kind of guy for sure

keep up the good work buddy

There was / is another photo album site on the net that shows in detail another fellow who put a Cad 500 in an Elky but I would have to search for it. I know I really enjoyed the 500 Caddy in my Cutlass. Its not a hard swap hat has to involve a torch, welder, & fabricating skills but definitely a tight fit that requires more than a like engine swap such as an Olds 307 to 403 etc.

That's looking great.....You oughta call it an 'El Carlo 😀

What an awesome project. The front sits nice even with all that motor in there.

“……. You oughta call it an 'El Carlo........”

LOL

I think I’m going to call it Identity Crisis. With the Monte front end, Cadillac engine, Pontiac transmission, Ford rear end and other misc pieces (hell the drive shaft is out of a 69 Dodge) the poor old thing doesn’t know what it is anymore.

Hell yeah man, keep the pics coming! i love this project. 8)

Well some more progress. The hoods back on and the windshield and back glass went in Friday, I’m holding off putting the trim on until I have all the glass in so I can check for leaks (hopefully I get the side glass in tomorrow).

glass.jpg

The seats also went to the upholsters on Friday and I should might have them back Wednesday (I won’t be ready for them by then but might be by the end of the long Thanksgiving weekend).

The big thing I did today was to fire the engine for the first time and got the cam broken in. I don’t have the wiring or dash in yet, so I hotwired the distributor and hooked up a couple of aux gauges. It fired right up and ran right on 190 degrees (the thermostat temp) and carried 55 PSI oil pressure on high idle and 30 PSI on hot low idle.

Everything went very well (no leaks, funny noises or other indications of problems) except I found out the PS gear that had sat for 15 some years doesn’t assist. I just ordered a rebuilt and it should be here in the morning.

The engine sounds …….well…. like a stock V8 with reasonably quiet mufflers which is pretty much exactly what it is LOL. It runs smooth and seems nice and responsive when you blip the throttle.

It should make it a pretty good Q ship….I know listening to it idle I wouldn’t suspect there are over 500 Cubic inches hiding under the hood.

eng1run.jpg

Still a bunch to do but I’m making progress. Man I got to get taillights in at and a seat bolted down so I can take it around the block…..too many cops to try it now LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor