500 Caddy/Monte Clip into El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 500 Caddy into El Camino

Mike P said:
831.jpg
Boy, your gonna get some crazy looks driving that around! I haven't ever seen the older Monte front end on an elky before. Keep up the good work!

that's going to look awesome....did you have to do any work to get the Monte doors to line up at the back of the door?

big joe vegas said:
Mike P said:
Boy, your gonna get some crazy looks driving that around! I haven't ever seen the older Monte front end on an elky before. Keep up the good work!
Yours is looking very good. I would love to see it when it's done.
I got a little more done on mine this week , the weather in Phx. helped too.Lots cooler 😀

Bonnewagon said:
HOLY COW! Is that an original dash mounted delay wiper switch??? RARE!
The green '78 that I have came with one as well... I'm just like "oh wow, I didn't know they had delay on the dash switches :lol:".

Are you guys going to the Super Chevy Show at Firebird this weekend? I know it's like 1:30am right now, just thought I'd ask. I think I'm going to try to make it up for today's show & the autocross stuff.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Kuruption, the Blue El Camino in the background is the wife’s, and what started this whole project. I bought this one as a parts car for the blue one when I was building it.

Yeah I’m kind of proud of the wiper delay, I not only found the switch, but the original separate wiring harness that hooks it up (of course then I had to buy a new wiper motor that had the delay feature LOL). Actually all of the electrical worked out pretty well. The 83s wiring was totally butchered and the steering column trashed. The Monte Carlo parts car wiring was great however and an earlier tilt steering column with the turn signal handle for the early style cruise control (which doesn’t require a computer).

Pontiacgp the doors fit the holes really well, but the body lines don’t match up well. The El Camino body line is wider at the bottom and the body line at the top of the door is “sharper”. Lowering the body line behind the tire would have put it right thru the center of the marker light, so that was eliminated.

Bodylinechanges.jpg

TC159 the door panels look good. The weather cooled off and clouds moved in down here too. It’s a mixed blessing for me, love the weather but it my arthritis doesn’t.

Doob, I’m going to pass on SC this year……only thing I’d have to drive to it would be a Mopar LOL.

I'm sure there will be worse there 😉 Currently I'm still planning on going... about 2 hours of driving, so I'll be needing to leave here soon, I'm sure I'll be able to spend all day up there.

Great job on making the body lines etc work. Its going to be a head turner for sure. As well as a non stop tire fryer. :mrgreen: I like the MCSS guage cluster inside the dash. Great touch. I hooked the factory tach up to my 509 in the 442 as well as the factory oil pressure guage useing a connector from a 3800 series Buick. As you may remember my 509 was 10-1 and had more cam so it worked well with the wot shift points (5,200) of the built GN based 200-4r that I used which also worked/looked right with the factory 6k tach similar to the one you have. The red line part of the tach from 5 to 6 seemed fit and make it all look feel sound shift like it might have came setup that way from the factory. It would quickly bury the 120 mph speedo to. Can't wait to see your car painted and finished. 8)

Thanks Vern, I’m really happy with how the body came out and the turnaround time. The project has come a long way in the last year and there is still a ways to go, (undercoating and sealing, final prep and paint and then assembly). It’s getting a bit cooler around here and my arthritis is already starting to slow me down a little but with any luck I should be driving it around the beginning of the year.

Cool project. I've always wanted to do a Cad swap. I'll be watching this thread.

Looks great Mike!

I had no idea the delay on dash wipers were a rare item...
My '81 Monte had them, they were great until you wanted to turn them off, then they just kept on going until you shut off the car... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor