500 Caddy/Monte Clip into El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 500 Caddy into El Camino

We made a dune buggy out of a front wheel drive 375 hp 472 Caddy. We essentially chopped it at the firewall, locked the tires straight, then welded a tube frame to the front. It has been over 20 years since I sold it so I don't remember all the specifics we did to it, but It would run 11.9 quarter. That is a lot of HP for a dune buggy. However, it wasn't much good in the chat piles unless you didn't stop. :mrgreen:

Just a brief recap of the project LOL

I bought this 83 El Camino as a parts cars for the wife’s El Camino.

833quarter.jpg

Then I decided I wanted to build it as a home for an old Cadillac 500 I had laying around. I didn’t care for the earlier El Camino front end and it had a rusty door, so bought this 78 Monte Carlo.

78Monte.jpg

After extending the front frame horns, the Monte front end was mated to the El Camino.

mockupdone.jpg

Then it was off to the body shop to have the dings removed and body lines matched up.

832.jpg

And then back to my shop for’ paint. I had been saying for the last several months I was going to just paint it white but at the last minute I just couldn’t make it that plain…….. So much for plausible denial about that it was someone else’s El Camino doing the big smoky burnout.

paint2.jpg

I should be able to do the bed liner on Sunday and then finally start assembling it next week.

that looks awesome...I looking forward to see the finished product...

Great color scheme... is that an off-white? I think off-white would better match that shade of red personally.

It’s an off white Doob. I agree a bright white would have been too much. I did manage to get the bed liner sprayed in today (light grey), so next week I should be able to strat putting everything together.

bedliner.jpg

That is one amazing el camino and a really nice paint job to boot. cant wait to see it when its all togeather!

Thanks for the comments guys. TC1959 I envy you I’m a ways off from the first drive with mine. By the way yours looks really good.

It’s starting to cool off down here now and I really wanted/needed to get the painting done. I finished up the last of the major stuff yesterday (the engine bay) and a few pieces on the truck and off the shelf.

GL2.jpg

I’ve got Thursday (Veterans day) off and I’m kind of hoping to get the engine and transmission in then and if not I should at least have it in this coming weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor