7.5 rear suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Buy two TH350 books. The HP Books one is $16 or so and an ATSG TH350 manual.

Do you have any tools? Do you have enough money to buy some tools? You can do a TH350 with minimal tools, but, the low/reverse spring compressor tool and the special snap ring pliers go along way. Have access to a press or arbor press? Punches and chisels? Part washer of some sort? Air compressor?

Do you know if there is an OTC, or WIT or some sort of transmission supply warehouse in Des Moines?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
400HP on 7.5 or 7.625 will work woth street tires for a long time, but with sticky tires , a suspension built to launch, and a 3000+stall it's a time bomb. It's the shock load from launching hard that will destroy it. If that isn't in your plans, then you'll be fine. I migh have mentioned this before, but we ran a 7.5 with a used Torsen from a late 90's Camaro with S10 axles for a full season of spirited driving with drag radials.It also has a girdle. We were making 400+whp (not crank) and it looks like new inside. We also used a set of junkyard 3.42 gears.

You're cheapest way out (and functional) is to find a used Torsen - $150-200, a bearing kit - $80, and a set of Moser axles - $280 shipped.

The rear I described above is now our spare. We did upgrade to a GN 8.5, but went with a 31 spline clutch posi and Moser axles. But we're making well over 500whp now and figured the 7.5 with the Torsen wouldn't take it for long. Our car is daily driven (hard), and if we ever manage to break to the 8.5, then we can swap out the complete 7.5 in 3 or 4 hours and run it until we decide what to use next. Just have to use our heads when driving it. And FWIW, we have $1800 in the 8.5.

Someone posted that it is easier on the rear with taller gears - that is incorrect. A set of 2.29's will smash the axles or pinion gears long before a set 4.10's - it's simple phyics.

Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
I was oblivious to the fact that I started this thread. Update. ..
After everybody's helpful input and the desire to build this car once correctly...

8.5" from an 85 442 should be arriving any day now thanks to Tony ELKMEANO. He says it's got 3.73's and is stock but doubts it being posi. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and installing it.

Reactions: 2 users

SupremeSpeed

G-Body Guru
Sep 29, 2016
GA
For a street car that you are not trying to hook up with or using slicks I see no issue putting a differential and gear in.
I ran my 7.5 with a Auburn differential and a 373 gear for 6 years behind a 600 horsepower 496 BBC and it never broke and I beat the crap out of it and later sold it for what I put into it when I finally upgraded to a 9" rear.
There is a member on here that twisted his new driveshaft and broke his new trans on a dyno and the 7.5 still survived.
I was getting a little worried. I took my stock 7.5 that came in my 88 Olds Cutlass Classic and had 3.73 installed in it. It's a Yukon with 3 year warranty, and the shop guaranteed me.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I was oblivious to the fact that I started this thread. Update. ..
After everybody's helpful input and the desire to build this car once correctly...

8.5" from an 85 442 should be arriving any day now thanks to Tony ELKMEANO. He says it's got 3.73's and is stock but doubts it being posi. I'm looking forward to cleaning it up and installing it.
Hell yeah man, you finally got your situation sorted out even after all teh thread highjacking. Sorry bout that lol. And ain't too hard to change over to posi. New gaskets and bearings, maybe some different gears if you'd like, and the LSD of your choice. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Buy two TH350 books. The HP Books one is $16 or so and an ATSG TH350 manual.

Do you have any tools? Do you have enough money to buy some tools? You can do a TH350 with minimal tools, but, the low/reverse spring compressor tool and the special snap ring pliers go along way. Have access to a press or arbor press? Punches and chisels? Part washer of some sort? Air compressor?

Do you know if there is an OTC, or WIT or some sort of transmission supply warehouse in Des Moines?
I do not have access to a press, but I could buy one or find one if need be. Why would I need one?

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Some preview pics

Attachments

• I1476643375.jpg
    I1476643375.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 162
  • I1476643291.jpg
    I1476643291.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 185
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor