7.5 rear suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Supposed to be 3.73 but I know I can't tell for sure without running the numbers. What's the best way to make it limited slip or posi? I've been told to put a spool in but the car is going to be a weekend cruiser. Like drive it to the track.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Buy a posi unit. That is really the bet way and least hassle. Even a used one will last as long as the car.

The books were for another guy that sorta hijacked the thread.

The press is for installing any bearings on the pinion or carrier.

Count the ring gear teeth and the pinion gear teeth. Most GM 3.73 are 41:11

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
You think the difference covers with the bolts to preload the bearing caps are worth it?

Bud, I helped build a car that went 10.70s on slicks for almost two years with a 7.5 with a used posi from a 94 Camaro and a set of used take out turbo Regal axles...it didn't have that cool cover.

Buy yourself a used 8.5 posi unit from a salvage or rearend shop or even an online auction for the price of the cover. They (GM) put them in millions of full sized trucks starting in the early 70's. Suburbans almost always have a 3.73 or 3.42 tow package with a posi.

Reactions: 1 user

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
Thanks bro. That's kinda stuff I like to hear. So any 8.5" GM unit will fit, correct?
There are different series carriers. 2 and 3 series. 2.73 and up is 3 series and anything below is a 2 series. They dont interchange but you can get 2.73 and higher for a 2 series, or put lower than 2.73 in a 3 series (i don't know why anyone would ant to.)

• Agree

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
No, you need a 3 series, like 3.08, 3.42, and 3.73.

• Agree

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Appreciate the info guys, there will be more questions lol. Accidentally disliked your post oldsone but I fixed it.

I'm gonna put the rear end in the car as is for now. Clean up the brakes, put the aluminum drums on, paint the diff cover, new gasket, new gear oil, etc.

I'm thinking about drilling and tapping a drain hole, or just getting a cheap aluminum cover with one already.

Thanks again guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor