72 Beetle project

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Won’t let you have all the air cooled fun, putting cash down on my next project today. ;)
Do tell. Don't keep us in the dark.;)

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That book is priceless. And Funny! Many greasy paw prints all over my copy but well worth the effort. .
1566913101.01.S001.LXXXXXXX.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
There was a place in Tampa Fla. that VW and Sandrails were all they did. Made and sold parts and complete engines with full upgrades and HP

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
There was a place in Tampa Fla. that VW and Sandrails were all they did. Made and sold parts and complete engines with full upgrades and HP
Back in the day there were specific VW performance parts shops everywhere, kind of like speed shops for American cars. I remember one shop out in Long Island where you could walk in, buy a header, 2-bbl carb and manifold, and performance distributor and have it all installed that afternoon.
VW's were really popular back then. After a few years the fanfare died down, but has since made a resurgence and popularity is at an all time high. I guess the current prices are an indication of that.

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I only know of one place that still works on bugs. It is called the Bug House or something. It is an old guy in Ridgewood.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Now, that's cool! Looks like someone had lost interest and decided to put it aside. I remember driving one of them on the beach. What a blast.
You couldn't resist, could you? :giggle: I don't blame you.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Now, that's cool! Looks like someone had lost interest and decided to put it aside. I remember driving one of them on the beach. What a blast.
You couldn't resist, could you? :giggle:
It was my nephews project, built the chassis and engine and he drove the chassis around the farm, finally found a body and then it stalled out due to lack of time. He told me about it being up for sale last year or so but this weekend I gave him the cash for it. Now I have to find time to get back to Iowa and get it moved to Texas, most probably in November before his wedding. And no, I couldn't resist ;)

Reactions: 2 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
What type of Type III do you have? Fastback, Squareback, Notchback? I owned a '68 Squareback, I loved that car. Notchback would have been an earlier year and much rarer cars.

I have a Fastback. I actually took my driver's test in a 70 Squareback with the automatic transmission.

The 68's were neat, but had alot of one year only parts.

Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have a Fastback. I actually took my driver's test in a 70 Squareback with the automatic transmission.

The 68's were neat, but had alot of one year only parts.
Fastbacks are cool. You don't see them anymore. My '68 Squareback had dual single barrel Solex carbs unlike some that were fuel injected. . I believe it was the first year for fuel injection. I know '67's were carbureted. I guess it was a transitional year that might've come with either or.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor