BUILD THREAD '78 Cutlass Supreme Lichen Edition

Looks good man. I think it'll turn out real nice when you're done. I've been checking out all of the available caps and adapters myself since I lack an air compressor, and there's quite a few options out there thanks to the graffiti artist movement. It's good to know that they work well for spraying a car. I personally like the fan spray tips and have been sourcing them from depleted cans of urethane because they offer better coverage and far less overspray than the tips that come on paint nowadays.

Years ago, my father and I painted a '79 El Camino with rattle can black metallic and learned a couple things the hard way. It turned out alright but I wish I would've known beforehand that:

• Unless you paint everything on the same day there's a good chance it won't match perfectly.
• The shade of paint can slightly vary batch to batch so it's a good idea to purchase entire flats/boxes of cans with matching numbers.
• Buy more than you think is necessary, and it's going to take more cans than you originally think it will.
• Don't use halogen lights to see what you're doing, as they put off too much heat and affect how the paint lays down. With metallic this causes shadows because the flakes settle at different angles.
• Use a $5 gun attachment for spray cans to avoid extreme hand fatigue or even cramps.
• Employ a friend or child to constantly pre-shake your next can before you need it.
• Lightly wetting the floor prevents dust from being stirred up but too much leads to water splashing onto the car as you work.
• Spray paint takes forever to harden, it honestly takes about a month to fully cure. Wet sand only, and add soap to the water or the paper clogs immediately. Buffing/rubbing compound can be applied by hand but a machine is too aggressive since the paint is so thin.

I know you said you weren't trying for perfection and you definitely didn't ask for my input but I felt compelled to share my mistakes in the hope that it helps someone.
Thanks for the tips. I bought 12 cans and I'm half way through. Turns out the fat nozzles disrupt the metal flake in the paint, so I may put down the final coats with the stock spray cap. 10-4 on giving it a month to harden. I wish I had a garage. My 6-gallon compressor says 'intermittent use only" for HVLP spray guns.. I might see how well it works. I really need to keep the scope down and remember that I just wanted to stop the rot and remove that top. I can paint it up nice years later.

Regards,
Mike

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor