BUILD THREAD '78 Cutlass Supreme Lichen Edition

Whatever knuckle dragger possessed this GN, or was hired to change diff oil at some point in the last 40 years, put some awful countersinks in the differential cover bolt holes. I see chatter marks so it was definitely done with a hand tool. Not sure what the goomba was trying to accomplish. Maybe he was trying to make a pocket of RTV for leaks? Coulda just bought a $4 paper gasket. Gears look kinda burned/smeared contact. After opening it up, I see I will be replacing everything. There are score marks in the carrier races, on the axel bearing surface. I've taken it apart to reduce mass to get it in the basement for winter rebuild. Looks like the head of the long bolt that retains the main pin of the carrier was rounded off with vice grips. Hope to find no more surprises. Frickin' hacks. Like why even open it if you don't have a wrench?
IMG_20240913_114250_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240913_114253_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240913_114256_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240913_123604_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240913_123611_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240913_123601_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Rktpwrd

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor