BUILD THREAD '78 Cutlass Supreme Lichen Edition

My interior trim codes are: 24X (BIG 4), 24D (SEAT), 24I (INT), which is "light blue" made '78-'79, per https://www.gbodyolds.com/forum/bod...5-78-88-cutlass-interior-color-rpo-code-index

I'm going to buy the ACC carpet with mass backing.

I think the compromise is going to be what ACC calls "Medium Blue". The seats will be lighter than the carpet; I'll rattle can the interior trim to match the carpet closely with flat or satin finish.
Capture.PNG

After maybe 15 years laid-up, it started up after pouring an ounce of gas and cranking, after repeated about ten times, before fuel pump primed. Used some ether too. I guess it had to prime. I changed the oil put a new filter before I even tried to start it. It blew a bunch of rusty crap out the exhaust, and settled into a normal idle after pumping the gas. Seems everything is working... Came up to temp... Gonna run it through this gallon.

Motor is so quiet. No vacuum leaks I can hear. Turned heat on full blast.

I'm definitely keeping this motor in it for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Thought it was gonna be another ls swap, but now i'm gonna learn what all this sh*t is now instead...

Attachments

• received_1386061398702734.jpeg
    received_1386061398702734.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: 2 users
Hell yeah!

Reactions: 1 user
Poisoned a carpenter ant nest under that heavy insulation that goes under the pedals, fuse box, over the tunnel under the dash. That is the last piece of OEM insulation in the car, so I guess I'll have to break out the box cutter and remove it if I ever see another fat black ant. They're falling out into the footwell like burn victims.
I did three bug bombs in Jr.'s Monte, two up front & one in the trunk. Even helped with getting rid of the nasty funk smell of 14 years of sitting. Still had to hammer thatr funk with other stuff.

The quarter glass weather seal is shot (driver side, blue tape) as far as function. I've seen all you struggle with this particular part on other threads. I'm gonna dress it up and put it back for fitment, but rely on something else for weather sealing. Perhaps I can find window sweep material without metal spine. Perhaps I can fool, all but the connoisseur, with skillful and artistic application of black RTV.... after all, prolly gonna be daughter's driver, and at best a grade B resto-mod.

Dropped the gas tank to replace the lines so I can stop running the motor out of a gas can.
20231104_100207.jpg
20231104_100156.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Maybe some butyl rubber rope seal would work for that window.

Attachments

• 20231106_120514.jpg
    20231106_120514.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 45
  • 20231106_120434.jpg
    20231106_120434.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
After some brakleen and brushing, here is the proportioning valve. Pedal feel is hard to describe, but certainly boosted as I hear that normal pedal sound. Hoses are on order from autozone. I am going to replace the wheel cylinders, calipers, hoses and pressure bleed 1.5 quarts through the system and send it for now. If I'm unable to disconnect the passenger front hardline from the hose, I will have to replace that line.

I need to redo this all, right. Brass valve, new front end lines?

These connections to the iron proportioning valve are scary, right? They're certainly not budging easily. Currently soaked in PB blaster.

20231109_084348.jpg
20231109_084402.jpg
20231109_084413.jpg
20231109_084425.jpg
20231109_084354.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor