Brick NJ
What's you manifold vacuum like?
IMG_20170820_155836163_HDR.jpg
I found my gauge that's intake vacuum at idle

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
That's not too bad. I was thinking maybe that cam or a leak might be causing low vacuum. That could explain both the driveability and the late shift.

Glad to hear it's a runner. Too bad about the transmission.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
That's not too bad. I was thinking maybe that cam or a leak might be causing low vacuum. That could explain both the driveability and the late shift.

Glad to hear it's a runner. Too bad about the transmission.
I putzed with it all day instead of doing what I set out to do I couldn't leave it alone I just felt like I was going to get it and really didn't get anywhere I'm kinda hoping to get my brother over here when he gets back from the aaca show in Hershey PA maybe I can get him here sometime this week I must be missing something stupid

• Creative
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That is the same vacuum I had with that cam, 17 is fine. I hear you on transmission's. My TH350 is no hell in my 88, lost 3rd then came back. The 2004R in the 70 lost reverse today. This second 2004R I have reverse and OD in as well as 3rd in this one. GM's common transmissions are no hell in my book. Someone getting the TH350 wrong who builds transmissions in my book in unforgivable. It is tough to trust anyone with anything on our old cars these days. I am rebuilding my 2004R with all the good hard parts from CK using his 200 page manual.

Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Did the guy put a shift kit in it? Or say he was gonna do any "mods" to it? I've driven some cars with Th350s that were "built with a shift kit" and shifted at like 5500rpm at partial throttle. Banged super hard into gears, terrible. And all the kickdown cable does (kickdown in this case, Th200r4 and 700r4 use a TV cable) is control downshifting at full throttle. Adjusting it will do nothing. You can even unhook it, just will need to downshift manually. He f*cked up big time, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with time. Worse case scenario, you'll have to score a decent craigslist transmission.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Did the guy put a shift kit in it? Or say he was gonna do any "mods" to it? I've driven some cars with Th350s that were "built with a shift kit" and shifted at like 5500rpm at partial throttle. Banged super hard into gears, terrible. And all the kickdown cable does (kickdown in this case, Th200r4 and 700r4 use a TV cable) is control downshifting at full throttle. Adjusting it will do nothing. You can even unhook it, just will need to downshift manually. He f*cked up big time, but it's nothing that can't be fixed with time. Worse case scenario, you'll have to score a decent craigslist transmission.
When I gave him the transmission I gave him a b and m shift kit with it that I had here on the shelf I have no idea if he used it tho there's still plenty to do on the car so I'll just keep plugging on other stuff for now

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Those guys are right, a TH350 is pretty hard to screw up. Absolutely no excuse if it was built by a pro. I wouldn't waste any more time on it if you can't get the guy to make it right. Probably best to just source another and cut your losses on this one. Maybe you can dig into it yourself later when some of your other projects are out of the way. If you've never built one before it might be a good training aid.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What you running for timing? Vacuum advance off manifold vacuum or ported? What radiator, fan, how many blade, clutch or no and is there a shroud?

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
What you running for timing? Vacuum advance off manifold vacuum or ported? What radiator, fan, how many blade, clutch or no and is there a shroud?
16° at idle 17" at manifold vacuum advance is hooked up to the carb on correct port no vacuum untill off idle the radiator is a 3 core with oem shroud fan is 1970 442 455 5 blade with good clutch

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor