78 Grand Prix Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

78GP400

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2017
Hartville, Ohio
Also... what did you end up running in the rear end with that 200-R4?

My 305 only has 50k on it and runs like a top... so Im going to just let it breathe with an intake and headers/dual flowmasters.. the rear end I was thinking 3.73's. If the 305 ever goes t*ts up, Im leaning towards a 383.. Would love a 400 like my 78 T/A had.. I really liked that engine, but they're getting tough to find.

-Gonz
33 spline Detroit locker 3.42 gears. 200R4 came out of a Grand National originally which is a very low 1st gear. Even with the 3.42's I'm shifting out of first really quick.

78GP400

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2017
Hartville, Ohio
Winter project build:
Interior is really clean but the inner door panel trim decal has started loosening and flaking. I took one panel off and assessed what I need to do to fix it. The plastic trim panel is molded into the door panel vinyl so there is no way to replace it.
IMG_1320.PNG
IMG_1322.PNG

78GP400

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2017
Hartville, Ohio
I found some really sticky automotive trim tape from 3M and decided to try to restore the trim. I sanded down the panel trim to get it as smooth as possible and remove all the old decal. IMG_1324.PNG IMG_1325.PNG IMG_1326.PNG IMG_1328.PNG

Reactions: 2 users

78GP400

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2017
Hartville, Ohio
Attached nicely but after it set, the tape kept coming up. It would not stick to the plastic. I even tried it with some adhesive and still wouldn't stick. Too bad😕 Already a lot of time invested!
I got some paint pens used for plastic, thick and thin tip, chrome. Painted a small test spot and it looks like it might work. IMG_1327.PNG

Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
beautiful car! love that it's still in the original family after all these years!

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
Attached nicely but after it set, the tape kept coming up. It would not stick to the plastic. I even tried it with some adhesive and still wouldn't stick. Too bad😕 Already a lot of time invested!
I got some paint pens used for plastic, thick and thin tip, chrome. Painted a small test spot and it looks like it might work. View attachment 104759
Been there and done that on several builds. You invest in the materials and the time and decide you are going to not only do it right
but you are going to do it BETTER than it was........only to find the plans you have fail and what was to be one of your best DIY feelings
turns in to utter disappointment. Tenacity is our friend as long as it doesn't become obsession........my OCD counselor told me to post this.:)(y)

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Very nice combo! I love the drivetrain choice!👍🏼

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor