BUILD THREAD 78 Malibu "#DtoxBu/Caged Beast"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Bad *ss malibu i had a 78 & 79 malibu myself

Thanks bro!! Ive been going thru page after page trying to fix all the broken pic links. Think I just about got em all. It sucks when you see a thread with post after post of bronken photo links. Thanks for checkin the project out!

LsWarren
80z

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
From the looks of it it's gonna be off the his zuck

Its most def been a learning experience. I threw just about everything I learned from my Elco and SS builds at this old girl.

I had actually finished the wheel wells a loooooong time ago, but decided to save the wet/glossy wells for the Elco since it has all the chromed parts. The bu is more aggressive so no chrome, shiny or polished parts. A nice satin finish for the wells will do. The bay cage bar setup did away with the windsheild wiper motor area, so I filled in the fluid bottle holes with epoxy on the wells. Then I sprayed it with some VHT "Roll bar and Chassis" paint. Looks really good. The perfect sheen for that oem look I wanted..This is the passenger side well. I still need to sand down the epoxy and paint the driver side well....

Click photo below for short vid

I'll stop being lazy and get back on the other well. The epoxy is most def dry and ready to be worked.... Thanks for checking back!!

LsWarren
80zUP!!

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Lookin good warren. That's an awesome idea for the parking brake cable brackets. Im gonna steal that idea for sure this week.

I know its not your style, but any idea what the smallest wheel you can fit on the front is?

Reactions: 1 user

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
Lookin good warren. That's an awesome idea for the parking brake cable brackets. Im gonna steal that idea for sure this week.

I know its not your style, but any idea what the smallest wheel you can fit on the front is?

Thanks bro!!! I looked high and low for ideas on how to keep the parking brake a few years back and found a pic of that on a Camaro forum. Made a template and gave it a shot. It should work.. I'mma have to shorten the cables a little and create an eyelet to loop around the e brake lever. I have a few ideas on making that work. Whew! It's been a minute since we last chatted. I had to go back thru all my post in this thread to fix all the pics...

I Figure it's gotta be at least an 18" wheel or whatever the donar car had. Oh I do like the smaller wheel size, but I wanted a 22" wheel for this project.. Mel has a 20" on his Elco "Desert Eagle" and it looks amazing. It's All in the stance! And he has the c6 Zo6 with 14" rotors on his setup. Whew!

Grill I had made for the project. Flows well with theme and colors. The silver center part matches the cars color damn near exactly. The frame, gas tank, bay cage bars, springs and a few other parts will all be coated in that silver to match the car.

Click photo for short vid

I went ahead and snatched the UMI rear end roto joint bushings and the rear trailing arm bars..

17076105195_5ca2b53408_z.jpg

16455949963_2d3b75815f_z.jpg

I'll be sending the bars and upper shock tower brace out to my powder coat guy to match em up to all the other Re coated /smoked UMI parts I have for the project. SHould be a clean look!!

LsWarren
80zUP!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

elcoslick33

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2015
SoCaL-AZ
View attachment 39358 Custom grill I had made for the project...

Thanks bro!!! I looked high and low for ideas on how to keep the parking brake a few years back and found a pic of that on a Camaro forum. Made a template and gave it a shot. It should work.. I'mma have to shorten the cables a little and create an eyelet to loop around the e brake lever. I have a few ideas on making that work. Whew! It's been a minute since we last chatted. I had to go back thru all my post in this thread to fix all the pics...

I Figure it's gotta be at least an 18" wheel or whatever the donar car had. Oh I do like the smaller wheel size, but I wanted a 22" wheel for this project.. Mel has a 20" on his Elco "Desert Eagle" and it looks amazing. It's All in the stance! And he has the c6 Zo6 with 14" rotors on his setup. Whew!

LsWarren
80zUP!!
That's a clean *ss grille bro, what they run? What's up with Mely Mel?

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
waddup fam! Mel is chillin! I'll be out there at the end of the month to yank the bu's frame. That grill was $975-it has some led daytime running lights installed also. I was gonna roll with Tiarra, but wanted to give these guys a try. Came out clean!

elcoslick33

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2015
SoCaL-AZ
waddup fam! Mel is chillin! I'll be out there at the end of the month to yank the bu's frame. That grill was $975-it has some led daytime running lights installed also. I was gonna roll with Tiarra, but wanted to give these guys a try. Came out clean!
my car would need to get done before i an spend that money on a grille LOL thats baller sh*t thr

Bumpin1ohmSS

Royal Smart Person
Jun 17, 2008
Cali to Az
my car would need to get done before i an spend that money on a grille LOL thats baller sh*t thr

LOL! I wish I had it like that. Man I saved, brown bagged it and robbed Peter to pay Paul for that grill. You'd be surprised at how much loot you waste on beer, fast food over a few months time. Had to get it.. Im ready to start putting it together. I have a ton of parts now. Cant wait for this frame coating to be done and back under the car... Thanks for checkin back bro..

LsWarren
80zUP!!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Thanks for making the effort to fix the broken links. You've invested a lot of time and money in these projects - it's cool to see the results.

I recently enjoyed a five day thrash with the help of a good friend of mine, and it looks like I accomplished about as much as you get done in a single weekend. I'm jealous of your time and space. Keep up the good work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor