78 Monte carlo Dash options??

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokybob

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 16, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Dixie makes a brand new 81 dash. My question is, will the 81 dash fit in the 78? Does anyone know if this is possible? Finding a dash is proving hard.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Dixie makes a brand new 81 dash. My question is, will the 81 dash fit in the 78? Does anyone know if this is possible? Finding a dash is proving hard.

Fits right in. I have a dash pad in my black 79 Monte Carlo which started its life in my 86 El Camino. Grand Prix dashes are also a excellent upgrade!
P1011282.JPG

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
If you decide to run the 81-88 dash, you will also need a right-hand vent panel and radio plate, which are different on a 78. If you use your factory cluster, everything is pretty much plug and play. If you decide to upgrade to either a later style cluster or something aftermarket, give us a call and we can go over what that entails.

Removing the dash is more straight forward than you might think:

Remove the cluster face plate first, disconnect the speedometer, and then remove the 4 bolts holding the cluster in. After that, you have (4) 7mm screws on top of the dashboard along the windshield edge, the bolts holding the column to the bracket, and then you have 1 bolt in each kick panel area and 1 on either side of the radio area. After that, the electrical that is attached to the back side of the dash is probably the part that is the most troublesome. You're bound to miss a step or two along the way (wiring connections, cable clips, hidden bolts, etc...), but it is a fairly straight forward job. If the seats are still in the car, it may be one of the more comfortable jobs you get to do.

Rob

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor