79 Malibu 5.3 swap has officially BEGUN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

onesickGSX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2014
PA
jacobdavis1979 said:
And the motor i cant remember if it was doing this before the cam but when i turn it over by hand it spins fine for a bit then slows down. Its not locking up or hitting anything it just gets alittle harder to push but will make a full rotation without issue i was blaming it on compression but i have no spark plugs in so what do you guys think?? And yes the dots line up perfect

It's probably just the new springs and cam. a lot of the comp ls cams have a very aggressive ramp rate for the opening and closing events of the lobes.. what are the specs for the new cam?

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
onesickGSX said:
jacobdavis1979 said:
And the motor i cant remember if it was doing this before the cam but when i turn it over by hand it spins fine for a bit then slows down. Its not locking up or hitting anything it just gets alittle harder to push but will make a full rotation without issue i was blaming it on compression but i have no spark plugs in so what do you guys think?? And yes the dots line up perfect

It's probably just the new springs and cam. a lot of the comp ls cams have a very aggressive ramp rate for the opening and closing events of the lobes.. what are the specs for the new cam?
Its the edelbrock 2215. 510/510 and like 300 duration I don't remember.
But it turned out be the flywheel rubbing the stand

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
are u ok with that aircleaner height ? i heard so much better reviews on dual plane intakes ... good for u with that setup ,cause no need thinking about ecm tuning with vvt and camshaft options ...

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
cyrus_the_great said:
are u ok with that aircleaner height ? i heard so much better reviews on dual plane intakes ... good for u with that setup ,cause no need thinking about ecm tuning with vvt and camshaft options ...

Im ok with the height. And yes hot rod did a test on the 5.3 and the dual plane made alittle more power on the low end. The single plane lost some low end torque but gained some hp after 5k. I chose the single plane because it was on sale black friday lol

onesickGSX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2014
PA
What are you planning on using for ignition control? I know msd make a control box but the are probably better options for the money. By the way that was a pretty sweet deal you got on the motor. Around my area they try and rape you at most yards I ended up paying about 1600 for my lq4 but it was all there less the ac and maf sensor complete with about 65k on it. I still haven't pulled my pan yet but it should be fine.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
onesickGSX said:
What are you planning on using for ignition control? I know msd make a control box but the are probably better options for the money. By the way that was a pretty sweet deal you got on the motor. Around my area they try and rape you at most yards I ended up paying about 1600 for my lq4 but it was all there less the ac and maf sensor complete with about 65k on it. I still haven't pulled my pan yet but it should be fine.
Im gonna be using the msd 6010. It has more room to tune than edelbrocks box
And yea the 6.0 around here is crazy expensive but nobody wants the 5.3 which is why it was so cheap even tho you can still make 400 horse with just a cam people still want the 6.0. My buddy the other day got a complete 4.8 with ecm and harness for $300 with 80k and you can make great power with them too

onesickGSX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2014
PA
That's an awesome deal on the 4.8 too. The reason I ended up going with lq4 is most of the 4.8s and 5.3s are pulling over 1,200 bucks around here so I figured why not. By the way what cast# are the heads; 317 are fairly common and are basically ls1 heads with bigger combustion chambers so they would work great for you with a head deck job to bump up the compression.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
I think they are 853. I would go check but its raining outside lol
My buddy had a set of 243 he was gonna give me but we found a crack so I kept the stock ones

onesickGSX

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 10, 2014
PA
I think 853s are supposed to be decent too though they share the same low CR issues the 317s have, but that's easily remedied. 243 would have been nice although they probably have different accessory mounting hole locations as they are car heads. Although I'd have to look it up to be certain.

RAGINGMALIBU

RAGINGMALIBU
Jun 4, 2014
TEXAS
Man I love the way you made that engine look! It looks like one in a magazine article. Crazy what a little tlc and can of paint will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor