79 Malibu wagon fuel line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. It’s pretty tight in there, I’m not 100% certain I can fit a sawzall in there and be accurate enough but that was my first thought. Would taking the remaining 2 bolts out and racking up the body a tiny bit to put some tension on the bolt be a bad idea? Probably wouldn’t work anyways. There’s some brake lines and stuff in the way currently.

James,
Perhaps you can use a holesaw and drill an access hole above that bolt. Soak it good with Kroil and try to grab or lock that captive nut somehow.
I know you'd rather not have to cut or drill into your rocker panel. I don't blame you, but you can spot weld a round patch or plug over the hole after extracting the bolt and cage nut.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rktpwrd
My brother told me yesterday before we left that he would bring his holesaw in tonight. I’d really rather not cut it up but it’ll probably be the quickest and easiest route. Oddly enough, that was first bolt that I put my half inch breaker bar on and was able to spin it without too much effort. Probably just busted loose when I started tapping it with the impact. I took turns bumping the impact in both directions at first. I guess the car isn’t in pristine shape anyways and the hole will be covered by carpet. Come to think of it, I drilled some small holes all up and down the rocker panels in my GMC truck a few years back and spray oil in them every fall then plug them back up. Won’t be much different with the wagon other than the bigger hole.

You don’t actually have to drill holes in the rocker panel. The body mount bolt comes through underneath the floor actually. If you remove the sill plate, seat and seatbelt where it attaches to the floor, then peel the carpet back a bit, this is the area you need to access.
Just for clarification. I’d hate to see someone actually drill holes in their rocker panel.

Interesting I’ll look into that tonight as well. I was thinking about taking the seat out but looking from above I assumed it was inside of the rocker. My initial thought was to start taking the seat out. The bracket and nut holding the bench seat in on the drivers side at least isn’t in the best shape.

Reactions: Rktpwrd
Interesting I’ll look into that tonight as well. I was thinking about taking the seat out but looking from above I assumed it was inside of the rocker. My initial thought was to start taking the seat out. The bracket and nut holding the bench seat in on the drivers side at least isn’t in the best shape.
I can post a picture of the location tonight (if I get out to the shop and remember) if you like. It’s right adjacent to where the sill trim plate sits.

Reactions: Mighty
Yea that would be awesome but don’t sweat it if you don’t get around to it. When I started to peel the carpet back after pulling the chrome trim piece off of rocker panel I noticed that the padding??? If that’s what it’s called, under the carpet was adhesived (I assume?) to the floor of the car. Does that sound right? And if so does the padding have to come up as well?

Coppernick was right. Spent $210 on the energy suspension bushing kit……didn’t come with new bolts. I’m sure a search will tell which bolts I need so I can run out and pick some up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor