79 Malibu wagon fuel line

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I found something that may help a lot of us. It’s on the Rust-Oleum “Rust Reformer “ from a gentleman that called the company to get clarification. This was copied and pasted and not my words.

“Liquid or Aerosol - Here is What You Need to Know
Reviewed in the United States on May 1, 2022
Size: 8 OunceStyle: BrushPattern Name: Spray

Rust-Oleum makes several products that carry the label "Rust Reformer." At the time I wrote this review the above listing contained numerous selections including a choice between a liquid and an aerosol. Although the liquid and the aerosol are both labeled Rust Reformer, the products are fundamentally different. Accordingly, understanding the differences will likely help you choose the more appropriated product. Also worth noting is that although there are two fundamentally different products, there are at least five or six different labels and part numbers. Because I became confused I called Rust-Oleum for clarifications and some answers to some questions. The information below is based both on my usage and the information provided by their technical staff. Also worth noting is that both products contain the identical phrase "Instantly converts rust to a protected paintable surface." Related to the labels, it is worth noting is that Rust-Oleum packages some products in more than one product line. The products listed above carry the label used by their automotive paint division.

The Liquid: I was told that the liquid was the superior product for converting or transforming rust. The liquid is water based and contains water-based chemicals that react with rust to convert it from chemical rust to another iron-oxide based compound that has different physical properties. So, in that respect it does indeed eliminate the rust. The product is milky white out of the can and dries almost black on rust (indicating conversion) and pretty much clear elsewhere. At the time I wrote this, the 8 ounce bottle was identified by the number part 248659 on the back label (not to be confused with the number on the front label which is the label number). The same product in the household division has a label that depicts a chair and has the part number 238433. There is also another part number in an 8 ounce container of a different shape that also appears to be the same product. That part number is 7830730. As I recall, the staff was unfamiliar with the part number and suspected it was the same product being marketed to another segment of the paint market. And, there is also a gallon size with the part number 3575402.

The Aerosol: I was told that the aerosol stops rust basically by encapsulating it thereby not allowing water to cause further rust. This appears to conflict with the phrase " Instantly converts rust to a protected paintable surface." However, this characterization is consistent with a review that someone else wrote about, where the reviewer stated that he used the aerosol on rusted metal, sanded the result, and discovered the rust was still present and was not converted. This product comes out of the can black and dries black. This product also appears to be Xylol based as are a lot of aerosol paint products. Possibly there is something in the paint that may do something more than standard primer to convert or retard rust other than encapsulate it, but typically chemical reactions with metals transpire in a water based environment. As I recall, the automotive division product has the part number 248658 and the home division product has the part number 215215.

I have used both products and both worked well. I did not do a direct comparison and did not evaluate their long-term durability. I also used another liquid product called Corroseal around 15 or 20 years ago and at that time found it to be excellent.

Regarding which product to choose, my advice would be to use the liquid where possible and convenient especially over heavier rusted areas. Obviously, the aerosol is easier to apply in many instances. Also, in many cases it is likely you will apply a top coat of paint especially if you don't want the resulting surface to be black. And, in my experience it is always preferable to remove as much rust as possible by scraping, wire-brushing, sanding, or by chemical means.”

Reactions: 3 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Great info Ugly1, appreciate it. Ive had 2 people suggest rustoleum now that I talked to in person and that’s what I’m leaning towards but I might as well look into some of the other suggestions too. Do you know if the liquid rustoleum can be found in a parts store or some place like Lowe’s/Home Depot/Menards or do you have to order it online? Heck might want to make that post a sticky and place it in body/trim/paint section of the forum

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Great info Ugly1, appreciate it. Ive had 2 people suggest rustoleum now that I talked to in person and that’s what I’m leaning towards but I might as well look into some of the other suggestions too. Do you know if the liquid rustoleum can be found in a parts store or some place like Lowe’s/Home Depot/Menards or do you have to order it online? Heck might want to make that post a sticky and place it in body/trim/paint section of the forum
I believe that was off Amazon, but with the number of that particular one you can probably go with Home Depot or Lowe’s. They also had one that encapsulates and is of rubber compound from rust-oleum as well. Looked like it was for frames.
IMG_4216.jpeg

Googling gets me in a lot of trouble sometimes 🤣. Amazon may actually be easier and faster though I like the parts store more. Check Ace Hardware or True Value.

Last edited:

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Don’t know if it’s too late or not now that you’ve got the body separated from the frame, but I wanted to make sure I followed through on this as promised.

If you do still have to end up drilling holes to access the broken body mount bolts in the middle of the doors, this is the location of them. First picture is from a distance back to give perspective, driver’s side in between the pinch weld and the seat studs.

2D77D996-FA67-481F-99FE-41BE55B66837.jpeg

Second picture is closer up, I had inadvertently put in a little longer than stock bolt when replacing my bushings and it dimpled the floor upwards identifying the exact spot of the bolt location. Bad for me now that I have to fix it, but good for folks like you.
Hope this is of some use for you.

99C1DFFF-0B0D-4F61-9A5D-1EEFCFA53E19.jpeg

• Useful
Reactions: 4 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Rktpwrd, that’s the one! Funny thing about it. My brother messed with it for a while before I got there and didn’t get any traction. Then when I arrived, we repositioned the front rack arms to do the remaining bolts (1 on each side of the car) which were located one spot ahead of that problem bolt. Before that he sprayed a shot of kroil on the problem bolt. He zipped the other two out cautiously with an impact then just for the heck of it he said let me try the problem bolt one more time. For some reason it came right out. He said he torched on it a couple times so I guess that and a dab of kroil must have popped it free. He sprayed the kroil on from the hole he drilled above it. These forums are extremely helpful since a lot of you guys have obviously been wrenching on these for a long time and know these cars inside and out. You guys are going to cause me to spend a lot of money though!!! It’s all for a good cause. Like I said, I’ve always really liked this car and now that it’s mine, I just want to be able to enjoy it again. A lot of people have been giving me the “LS swap it bro” but I honestly think it would be way cooler if most of the original parts were still in it. That’s why I want to keep the original saginaw in storage without scattering it’s guts all over the road.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Don’t know if it’s too late or not now that you’ve got the body separated from the frame, but I wanted to make sure I followed through on this as promised.

If you do still have to end up drilling holes to access the broken body mount bolts in the middle of the doors, this is the location of them. First picture is from a distance back to give perspective, driver’s side in between the pinch weld and the seat studs.

View attachment 220204

Second picture is closer up, I had inadvertently put in a little longer than stock bolt when replacing my bushings and it dimpled the floor upwards identifying the exact spot of the bolt location. Bad for me now that I have to fix it, but good for folks like you.
Hope this is of some use for you.

View attachment 220203
D,
I've also encountered using a longer bolt in one of the mounts achieving that same result as you're indicating. That's how I knew about drilling through the inner rocker panel to access the problematic bolt.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I believe that was off Amazon, but with the number of that particular one you can probably go with Home Depot or Lowe’s. They also had one that encapsulates and is of rubber compound from rust-oleum as well. Looked like it was for frames. View attachment 220202
Googling gets me in a lot of trouble sometimes 🤣. Amazon may actually be easier and faster though I like the parts store more. Check Ace Hardware or True Value.
Thanks for posting that product. I never knew it even existed. Great for doing floor pans, etc. I'm going to keep an eye out for it.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Also found this and due to the project Ford 4x4 I’m into, I thinking of getting it. New England is never been nice to metal with salt used in winter.
IMG_4222.jpeg
IMG_4221.jpeg

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
Ugly, I just made a post in a different thread on here showing the floors in my 1997 project dodge truck. I used something similar that my boss has laying around to try to fix up a little bit of rust. I might have a friend weld in some new rockers down the road so I’ll have to see how well it held up.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Ugly, I just made a post in a different thread on here showing the floors in my 1997 project dodge truck. I used something similar that my boss has laying around to try to fix up a little bit of rust. I might have a friend weld in some new rockers down the road so I’ll have to see how well it held up.
Awesome. Not knowing where you live, if you have a hard time finding used parts for that truck, I have a used parts place that can ship or ( depending on size) deliver if he goes that way. Actually I’ll PM you info.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor