'80 Lemans Tear Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
It's been awhile since I've given any updates. Progress has been slow, but at least it's still moving forward... Front suspension and brakes are pretty much buttoned up. I ended up with QA1 coil overs in the front with the Blazer disc brake setup. It all worked out pretty nice. I used PST steering linkage. Seems to be nice stuff too. I also installed an S10 manual steering box. Still an incredibly long way to go...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 677
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 700
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 677

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
Have you settled on an engine yet? If you`re dropping a Pontiac V8, are your motor mounts in the proper spot on the frame? I`am pulling the v6 out of mine tomorrow and dropping the 400 by the end of the week and quite remember where exactly to install the frame mounts (duh!)

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Yes, will be a Pontiac V8. My car had a 301 so the mounts are where they were for that. You should be able to see the location in one of the pics above. If not, I've got some better pics I could send you if you need them.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
That pic above is perfect and just what I need :D . I have the proper mounts and everything just couldn`t remember where they went :oops: Thanks for the info.

Dean

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Well, I figured I'd give a quick update. The progress has been slow as usual. The frame can finally roll on its own again. It's been on jack stands a long time with no suspension attached to it. Quite a relief there.

The progress on the chassis has been offset by the body shell going in the opposite direction. It couldn't be much further apart. I did do a little weight reduction in the doors. The crash bars are gone. Dropped a little over 14 pounds per door. Also got the hinges rebuilt.

I have been gathering some motor parts. I have the complete rotating assembly and the heads waiting for a trip to the machine shop. Will be a pump gas 461, Pontiac 400 block with Eagle stroker kit and 87cc Edelbrock aluminum heads.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 518
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 524

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Like your engine choice. Something similar will probably be my next build in a few years. Slow progress is still progress, I`m learning that right now. Keep up the work Troy, It will get there..Nice chassis btw.

Ferret

Apprentice
Aug 31, 2012
Luxembourg
tdvick said:
It's been awhile since I've given any updates. Progress has been slow, but at least it's still moving forward... Front suspension and brakes are pretty much buttoned up. I ended up with QA1 coil overs in the front with the Blazer disc brake setup. It all worked out pretty nice. I used PST steering linkage. Seems to be nice stuff too. I also installed an S10 manual steering box. Still an incredibly long way to go...

the pictures of your front suspension are awesome!

got a question though: those coil-over-shocks, do they really improve car handling? i still have the original setup on my lemans, but it's a pain in the *ss and the car's handling response is poor for european roads and traffic. these coil-overs would be great for future maintenance :)

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
great updates/progress!!! LOVE to see someone doing it the RIGHT and ONLY way!!! :wink: this is going to be beautiful when all said n done :D

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
A lot of progress there, Troy.
Everything is lookin' really good. Sounds like that's going to be one serious engine. :)

Keep up the good work.

kad5118

Greasemonkey
Apr 5, 2010
Did you ever finish up the car troy and did you keep the semi top rag off the car.how did you remove the body from the chassis

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor