Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My best option may be to black out everything in front. Fill in header panel after removing hood ornament and tuck the front and rear fiberglass bumpers as well as i can..
Do the later body style (84/87) regal bumpers (@ least front) fit these cars with minor modification? Vfns site makes even the glass bumpers look more sleek for the later model cars. Maybe do this and put amber colored parking lights in the bumper rather than clear..
The 84' and up bumpers do not work on the older 78'-80' but you can still go with some aftermarket 78'-80' fiberglass bumpers and modify them to your liking, the blacking out of chrome I feel will also look good.

Justinjames

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2018
I've seen a pic of a g body buick wagon, century or estate wagon with an 81-87 regal nose on it. With a little work, it can be done.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Or just modify the front bumper, norrow, tuck and paint it.

Might be my most favorable option

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
I've seen a pic of a g body buick wagon, century or estate wagon with an 81-87 regal nose on it. With a little work, it can be done.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I really wanted to do the coupe header panel/fenders on the wagon, and it does look pretty slick, but it's a lot more work than it looks like at first glance. The fenders are not just a "bolt-on" for the wagon. The gap between the door and fender is different, and requires some fabrication and bodywork to make it work. I think for now I'm just going to keep the "family truckster" look while doing a complete overhaul under-the-skin.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I did one GM project where I cut out an inch or so of the bumper shocks and welded them back together to tuck the bumper then on that car I cut 3 inches out of each side of the bumper. Welded back together then fabbed the corners to fit the fenders like bumpers fit in the 60s, no filler panels.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Iu
turbo21.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The 78-80 radiator core support does roughly interchange with the 81-87 body - they use the optional aluminum ones with drilling a couple holes to lighten drag cars. (The support rods for the header panel)

If you wanted single headlight, look into the 78-79 regal... 1980 was the only year of the old style with a quad headlight.

The hood and header panel can swap onto your existing core support, BUT, you would need to do some custom work to the fenders... I've seen it done in the past, guy spent a ton of time grafting the front 81-7 onto a rear 78-80 but looked slick when done.

Bumpers can be made to fit, if you look at the shocks and bumper core they're slotted at the bolt holes on both ends for adjustability.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
Wasn't the '80 just a one model-year style? IIRC, '78-'79 were the two-headlight style, '80 was four eyes, and then '81 went to the more "aero" look on the coupes?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Wasn't the '80 just a one model-year style? IIRC, '78-'79 were the two-headlight style, '80 was four eyes, and then '81 went to the more "aero" look on the coupes?

Correct.

78-79, 1980, 81-83, 84-87 are the header panel generations for coupes.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor