BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Well, started playing with the metro door seals, I figured the red dot is the driver's side? Anyone confirm? In any case, the damn door won't shut all the way! Not very happy right now.
I went with Soffseal but haven't tried them out yet.

Reactions: 1 user

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I'm pretty sure they're marked L and R... but I'm not postive...
Which ones won't close? Fronts or rears?
WAY back in my thread I showed what I went thru the first time I installed them on my wagon. *edit* Found it, page 18...
They should train themselves within 24 hours once you get them closed.
The worst spot is on the rear doors, at the top corner for the b-pillar and roofline.
The seals are sticky there as they transition from one shape to another and bind against the body.
I put mine in a year ago and I still have a piece of paper covering that spot so that they can slide and closer easily...

Last edited:

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Blake, unfortunately are not marked, just a green and red dot. I only have the DS front on and I have to slam it to get it to the first click in the latch. It won't even shut all the way.

I have tried both front seals on that door and neither sh*ts better than the other.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Outstanding Jim, simply outstanding. Well done my friend, I'm very happy for you.

I can't emphasize enough how bitchin it turned out!
Finally, pics of it outside in the daylight where we can all see it!

I can sympathize with the work you went through in the cutting and polishing steps. I cut and buff all my paint work as well, it's time consuming, messy and tedious, but boy it's sure worth it once it's done.

Congrats man. It's gotta feel great to finally have it to the final assembly stage. Not too much longer, and you'll actually be able to enjoy it from behind the wheel. It's been a long time coming, and I couldn't be happier for ya.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Looks killer man, absolutely killer. Congrats again.

Donovan

Reactions: 1 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Thank you all for the kind words! As Jack and Donovan have pointed out, it's been a long time coming to get to this point. Jack, Blake, Mitch, Quinn, Scott, Donavan, Kevin and others, have all helped with parts and information. I couldn't have done it without all that help.

I plug away the next 2 weeks and hopefully get farther along, I hope to drive it at the end of July for tuning. I won't get the I interior done this summer, but, I'll drive it anyway.

Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Here is a picture of the tailgate and plate pocket. I bought a new plate pocket and tag light. I prepped and painted the pocket with the same semi black paint. The pocket had some funcky foam gasket for sealing out the water, I got rid of that and used strip caulk. It should be water tight now.

The hatch release handle is new car also. And finally, the weather stripping on the top of the gate is the best of three. I spent a ton of time with some lacquer thinner cleaning it up.
b176b4b28dab494bdebea234cc0dd467.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Just ordered some new door seals from Steele rubber, gonna be ordering from soffseal also. These metro seals aren't very good and o hope to get a better quality seal. I'll take some pictures today, but they aren't even shaped correctly.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Just ordered some new door seals from Steele rubber, gonna be ordering from soffseal also. These metro seals aren't very good and o hope to get a better quality seal. I'll take some pictures today, but they aren't even shaped correctly.

That scares me since i have brand new metro seals patiently waiting. However, they are different from the wagons and coupes so time will tell when i get to that stage!
Again Jim, loving the look! You should be able to get quite a bit accomplished before the USAF eats up some time!
Tuned in as always man.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Bummer to hear you're having trouble with the seals...
I've put two sets of Metro seals on my car now and they fit great both times, did you flip thru my thread?
I'd hate to see you run into the same issue with another brand...

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Blake, I did go back through your thread. I seen where you had to tape some back. I never looked at the seals when I bought them last year, or longer, but they are really not that good. The door frame seal is missing the the bump to hold it in, and it Metro glued the rediculously hard funky piece in there? Not sure why, but I have to slam the door to get it to latch on the first catch, it'll never shut all the way.

I have to try something different. The Steele rubber are more expensive, but they are on thier way. I hope the fit and finish is better.

I don't expect factory, just something that works.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor