BUILD THREAD 81 Buick/Olds Turbo Wagon 02/15/2024 More Parts!

Re: 81 Century/GN Wagon build-up New Pics! Update 2/18/14

sorry, really didnt catch your planning process (im about a month behind you).
I just ripped thru autozone and rock auto websites and mapped out a few popular donor cars.
I ran across something called a j56 option on the c6 z06
it basically sports a 355mm rotor
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... 2993_2708_
for comparrison sake it is the same diameter as the 2010+ camero SS, and ctsv however the ctsv is 6 lug and the camero ss center bore is too small...
but using stock parts, and I believe using your c5 calipers and PABs I believe you could run these over the 340mm rotors you were talking before...
The rotors sees 3/8" thinner in over all depth than the c5 or jimmy rotors, however the center bore, and bolt pattern appear the same.
donno, thought it was an amusing concept, if you have the room in the rims all it would take is another bracket and perhapse a shim between the PAB and bracket.

If you want to run the 355mm, you could run the Z06 rotor. It has the same dimensions as the z51 and base. I also found the j56 to be the same dimensions as the z06. so it may just be a bigger offset on the bracket. I wish i had 18" wheel right now, I would run the 14" fronts and 13" inch rears.

You can see that the rotor has the same hub hole, bolt pattern, and thickness. Just a larger diameter.

Check this http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=333

And the DBA catalog, it gives you the rotor specs http://www.dba.com.au/catalogue/online-catalogue/

:edit: This is C6 I am talking about. 😀

liquidh8 said:
If you want to run the 355mm, you could run the Z06 rotor. It has the same dimensions as the z51 and base. I also found the j56 to be the same dimensions as the z06. so it may just be a bigger offset on the bracket. I wish i had 18" wheel right now, I would run the 14" fronts and 13" inch rears.

You can see that the rotor has the same hub hole, bolt pattern, and thickness. Just a larger diameter.

Check this http://lukeskaff.com/?page_id=333

And the DBA catalog, it gives you the rotor specs http://www.dba.com.au/catalogue/online-catalogue/

:edit: This is C6 I am talking about. 😀
when I was going thru it I ran into 3 rotor diameters on the c6
base 325mm
zo6 j55 option 339.9mm
and
zo6 j56 option 355mm
who knows...
I just got done drawing up the bracket to run the 355mm with the c5 PAB and caliper.
I will have to take a look... I might just be able to do another with the stock jimmy PAB and caliper... that would be kickasss for me as I still havent selected a rim yet!

I would love to run that 355mm rotor, I don't think it would fit in the 17" rim though.

I think the issue with the blazer caliper, is the spread is smaller, for a thinner rotor, 29mm. I suppose you could run that setup, but would need to shave sthe pads or something to get it to fit possibly. It may just slide right over too.

That would be the cheapest route to go for you, since you already have all that. If you are running the larger 355mm rotors, you make have the room to run the blazer PABs.

The blazer rotors are 54.6mm high too, the c5/6 are 45.5. You man need some sort of spacers or shims to fit the blazer PABs on there. sh*t, when I get the rotors (C5/6), I will try and line up the blazer PABs with calipers, and see what is what!

liquidh8 said:
I would love to run that 355mm rotor, I don't think it would fit in the 17" rim though.

I think the issue with the blazer caliper, is the spread is smaller, for a thinner rotor, 29mm. I suppose you could run that setup, but would need to shave sthe pads or something to get it to fit possibly. It may just slide right over too.

That would be the cheapest route to go for you, since you already have all that. If you are running the larger 355mm rotors, you make have the room to run the blazer PABs.

The blazer rotors are 54.6mm high too, the c5/6 are 45.5. You man need some sort of spacers or shims to fit the blazer PABs on there. sh*t, when I get the rotors (C5/6), I will try and line up the blazer PABs with calipers, and see what is what!
Ill stop cluttering your thread and post it up on mine, but from the info that I have found the zo6 rotors are 1/8" thicker than the blazer ones and they are 3/8" thinner over-all.
Meaning, I can easily clearence the PAB if need be.
If the thickness between the wheel mount surface and hub mount surfaces are the same between the two; I can run a 3/8" thick adaptor bracket without having to shimm the hubs.
lastly the diameter diffrence between the two (273.3mm vs 355mm) that I can easily relocate the Jimmy bolts far enough away from the origional location to be structrually sound...

This will be the starting point for me to attmpt to make it work!

Ill stop cluttering your thread and post it up on mine, but from the info that I have found the zo6 rotors are 1/8" thicker than the blazer ones and they are 3/8" thinner over-all.
Meaning, I can easily clearance the PAB if need be.
If the thickness between the wheel mount surface and hub mount surfaces are the same between the two; I can run a 3/8" thick adapter bracket without having to shim the hubs.
lastly the diameter difference between the two (273.3mm vs 355mm) that I can easily relocate the Jimmy bolts far enough away from the original location to be structurally sound...

This will be the starting point for me to attempt to make it work!

I am not worried about that. The brainstorming allows the information to get out there and get hashed out, there may be others with some input, or at least can learn from it.

What you said is what I was thinking, the only issues may be the pad combination. We wound have to see if the Blazer pad would ride the C5/6 rotor ok, if not would a C5/6 pad fit the Blazer PAB, and would the Blazer caliper pistons fit on the backside of the pad.

I picked up a new toy! I picked up an H & S auto shot spot welder 5500. Now I can weld my trim rivets on for the trim around the rear windows. I'll end up using this tool for my Chevelle, my el Camino, and the wifes Monte Carlo.

tyhubeze.jpg

3e5yqyry.jpg

Sweet deal! Those are awesome for pulling out dents! Welding the trim nubs is a heck of a bonus IMO!

Had a thought this morning. If we are unable to make the e brake work andyou still want a parking brake, you can run a hydrollic hand brake like the drift boys do. Most of them have a locking tab that will allow it to set like a parking brake

Nice score Jim.
That tool won't go to waste. :wink:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor