81 Oldsmopile ( G-body rust repair )

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I have used All metal exclusively on any are I welding in patches, to include the leaded joints. Then I used Rage Gold. As has been stated, the All Metal isn't as easy to work with, but it doesn't shrink or absorb water. The data states it for use in places such as that. Just a thought.

Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I'm impressed with your skills. Looking good, Mack!.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
So looks like Ill have to find someplace that sells Allmetal. I've also come across another product called Metal to Metal by evercoat. Supposably similar to allmetal. Eastwood also makes a Lead filler that would be most alike to what was used by the general, but from what I've been reading online is more of a novelty "hey I used lead as filler" type of thing. I probably won't be melting the lead out of the rear sail panel since I have no reason too and its not cracked, but there was a crack in the driver side Apillar so that will have to get fixed.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
You can most likey get it at a local paint supply. It seems to be pretty popular. I'm sure it's available online but shipping on that type of stuff is expensive.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
I've used the evercoat metal to metal also. IMO, the USC brand has a nicer consistency to it.

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Been chippin away at all the little nuisance rust spots in various spots over the car. There was a couple spots along the rear trunk weather strip edge.

When I was hacking parts of the buick parts car I sawzalled a section near the rear window and made a right mess of it. I was able to straighten it out and use most of it. There is a difference between the sedan and coupe but they have the same curve.

IMG_4495.jpg

There was a couple holes rusted through.

IMG_4496.jpg

Wile I was at it I removed all the seam seal alone the trunk to quarter and around the window. It was all cracked but to my surprise there was no rust to be found. both sides looked like this.

IMG_4502.jpg

Had some In the top left corner and bottom right to deal with swell

IMG_4514.jpg
IMG_4505.jpg

And after

IMG_4516.jpg
IMG_4506.jpg

The only spots left are just a little bit pitted and will get sand blasted instead.

Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
You,Sir, are a metal magician!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I have to agree. Some of the stuff you are replacing I would have cleaned up real good and left! Kudos to you for going the extra mile!

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
So today I finally started back on the cutlass, Had some time with the family as well as gather up all my parts and get some more. I hauled back 3 doors a 5.3 lm7 and trans for my camaro maybe, some 15x8 rallies to widen the rears, a set of rims for the camaro and a second set of headers since my first set were rotten and the weather strip i got in the fall.

With all the weight and the drop she was on the bumpstops the whole ride back. Wish it sat this level all the time.

IMG_4651.jpg

Heres the rig my bro and I made up to hold the doors and keep them from banging around

IMG_4681.jpg

Both doors are going to need some work along the bottom. After some wire wheeling to see what I was up against here is the pass door. Looks like some one else was here. Had a patch over the top door hinge mount, and Im guessing this is a new skin since the inside is black and there are tack welds along the seam.

IMG_4670.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

You can also see here the skin is good but the inner door bottom is thin enough that the wire wheel was cutting through.

IMG_4664.jpg

IMG_4665.jpg

I scored this door awile ago and picked up the other 2 doors this trip. both other doors have more rot in the door bottom but super clean everywhere else. Ill end up using the green passenger door since its in good shape and cutting the hinge area off the grey pass door to fix the previous patch work and rust holes. Then repair the grey driver door. Its no better then the original along the bottom, but the original has the crack along the top and a dent around the mirror like somebody leaned on it. Then use the best glass and handles between all 5 doors.

Also Got the centres removed and barrels cleaned up from the truck rallies, gonna mock up the centres tomorrow and see how it looks.

IMG_4680.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor