81 Oldsmopile ( G-body rust repair )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Yet again, your perseverance is admirable to say the least! Alot of people including myself would have probably tossed the cutlass and found a better one.
However, when complete that car is going to be a top notch machine with more tlc than GM put into it!
Keep it up man, we are following along for sure!

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Grabbed the centres I cut out of the 15x6s and set them in the 15x8 barrels to see how its going to fit. They don't fall out but I would like them to be a bit more snug. Opted to shovel the driveway today instead of work on the car. Tomorrow I will pick up some sheet metal and take it to a friends to bend up to make the patch for the lower doors, as well as square away the body so I can prime the inside.

And a shot of the new 15x8 this is at 4" backspacing.

IMG_4687.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
Waiting for mig gas to show up but between now and then Ive been prepping the inside of the patches for the door and finished up the exposed body mount in the rear.

Gave it another coat paint and seam sealed between the drop off and body mount. then preped it to have the top glued on.

IMG_4700.jpg

I used this stuff before and can say that the metal will tear before the glue comes apart from the steel. It also acts as a seam sealer too. I didn't want to plug weld it and burn off the paint and bedliner underneath, even tho a case of bedliner is cheaper then one small tube of this body glue.

IMG_4701.jpg
IMG_4703.JPG

So as long as the mig gas showed up I should be able to start the door repairs

Reactions: 1 users

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
As a person that loves to do sheet metal fab this is right up my alley

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
question for you regarding those patch pieces from Conrad you are using..... I bought the set of 4 from him "just in case" !
Do you think it would it be feasible to cut the old mounts out from the body and drop the new ones in from the top with panel bond instead of coming up from the bottom and burning them in ??

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
question for you regarding those patch pieces from Conrad you are using..... I bought the set of 4 from him "just in case" !
Do you think it would it be feasible to cut the old mounts out from the body and drop the new ones in from the top with panel bond instead of coming up from the bottom and burning them in ??

As long as there is clean bare steel to bond to it shouldn't be a problem. You will have to remove a fair bit of the trunk floor above the body mounts to get them in place, and rig up some way of clamping it all together. It would be a good way to avoid having to jack the body up high enough off the frame to reach them.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
that's the plan, just one brittle mount on my car and I really don't want to pull the frame if I don't have to. Once again hats off to you for all the work you have done in saving this old girl from what was a sure fate of the crusher or rotting away in the back woods of NB !

EME_Mack

Greasemonkey
So the past couple of days I've been working on the passenger door. Im not sure whether or not they will turn out so good, but i'll finish it and determine then If im going to start over.

From the start the first thing I did was remove the door hinge area sheet metal, it wasn't so bad nothing im not used to. I had already decided to use the gray passenger door for the patch, after brutally removing the needed piece I realized I probably should have just fixed the gray door instead.

The removed patchwork from the previous repair

IMG_4699.jpg

And here it is cleaned back to good metal with the new patch on top.

IMG_4694.jpg

After removing the patch piece I realized the gray door was in much better shape and I should have just repaired It instead. This is behind the sheet metal of the gray door after drilling out the spot welds MUCH cleaner

IMG_4695.jpg

And after spending a whole night fitting it and welding it and grinding it, I now made this green door no better then the gray one I just cut up since both doors needed the bottom Inners replaced any way.

IMG_4737.jpg

Here is said bottom, had it bent up by an old friend.

IMG_4736.JPG

And after some grinding' this is what Im rewarded with. If I hadn't cut up the better door I would be so sour about it since it turned out pretty decent.

IMG_4740.jpg
IMG_4738.jpg

Now with the thing flipped over I had to find a solution for the outer skin. Since this is the part that will actually show im a little more worried about it.

You can kinda see the low spots in this skin when you look down it, Which is a repop door skin. You can also see the gray door under the back of the car hacked up.

IMG_4746.jpg

Bad skin confirmed by the liberal use of bondo, about 1/16" thick. theres hardly any near the body line 1/3 the way up.

IMG_4742.jpg

This is were Im at today. I called this afternoon to get the lower replacement panels for the doors but they only have the drivers side and it will have to be ordered a new full skin is $330 ish Canadian from Gbody parts before shipping and all the other nonsense. So I cut out a piece of sheet metal that ill get bent along the bottom and maybe It won't turn out so bad. My biggest worry is that the bottom curveture will end up flat and after all the welding and grinding, and the crappy skin already on there with low spots. Ill' have too use a bunch of filler to make it look right.

IMG_4743.jpg

I did However find this http://www.highwaystars.net/body-ex...&sort=featured&category=68&is_category_page=1

They sell a skin for $120 US might be a viable option but I've never heard of them before. Wouldn't be surprised if the skin was the same one sold everywere else. Anybody here ever use one from them?

Reactions: 2 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Highway stars is a reputable turbo Buick vendor, I have an order going in with them, I haven't heard anything ad on the turbo Buick forums.

Oh, and great work. I had to make my own lower skins, not bad to do, just watch the curvature.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor