83 SS bench to bucket and column to console questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also used to have the Hurst V-matic 2. I liked it...it was a good dual action shifter that could be shifted normally, or ratchet mode. I went back to a stock shifter.
Here's an old pic of my interior with the Hurst V-matic shifter and modified newer Grand Am console.
I didn't use the linkage from the column to the shifter. I locked the column in park and just used the cable....and of course, connected the neutral safety switch and backup lights to the 2- micro switches on the shifter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
You need to "massage" the linkage problem you are currently having. Console cars still use all the factory column linkage. The cable from the console shifter links to the shifter on the trans, which translates via the linkage all the inputs back to the column. This retains the P/N switch, locks the steering in park, and operates the reverse lights.

Whats the problem you are having with the orig column linkage ? I have seen them bent around headers or cut n weld around them

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fastSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2016
Hey that is my seat in my car wtf?

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
You need to "massage" the linkage problem you are currently having. Console cars still use all the factory column linkage. The cable from the console shifter links to the shifter on the trans, which translates via the linkage all the inputs back to the console. This retains the P/N switch, locks the steering in park, and operates the reverse lights.

Whats the problem you are having with the orig column linkage ? I have seen them bent around headers or cut n weld around them

well i massaged it around but it still does hit the header, and I would probly just lock it in park on the column regardless, and wire the reverse lights differtnyl as they dont work now anyway.

but it more has to do with the fact that i want a manual valve body trans

fastSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 13, 2016
So your plan is to have Procar make matching bucket seats for your one year only blue and white interior?
So like this with their bucket seats, I am curious what they charge for this.

83monte003.jpg

Hey this is my car

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
This is what I put in my 81. I used a B&M shifter. The seat and console mounts came from Mikes Montes. The bracket for the shifter is homemade. The hardest part was getting someone over to weld them all in.

stuff 009.jpg
stuff 011.jpg
stuff 006.jpg
stuff 005.jpg
stuff 004.jpg
stuff 003.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
This is what I put in my 81. I used a B&M shifter. The seat and console mounts came from Mikes Montes. The bracket for the shifter is homemade. The hardest part was getting someone over to weld them all in.

View attachment 60297 View attachment 60298 View attachment 60299 View attachment 60300 View attachment 60301 View attachment 60302
so pretty much that custom mount u made allows it to sit high enough in the console to look correct?

then you just drill the hole and run the cable out

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Just fyi...the vmatic has 2 switches on the side of the mechanism...one for park/neutral safety, the otherfor reverse light activation. The instructions explain how to wire it in.

On mine, i just looked at the wiring schematic in the haynes manual to find the reverse light wiring which is a green wire. I just tapped into that wire and ran a positive and ground to the shifter switch. It works just as intended.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor