83 SS bench to bucket and column to console questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
so pretty much that custom mount u made allows it to sit high enough in the console to look correct?

then you just drill the hole and run the cable out

Well, to be honest its still not finished. Thats as far as I got with the 81. LOL
Now Ive turned my attention to my wagon but that is the plan. I also had to slightly modify the front console bracket.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Make sure whatever shifter you decide on that it will rachet and lock into gear both up and down if you are going with a reverse manual valve body in your trans.
Also with an aftermarket shifter there are usually provisions to mount micro switches for both the reverse lights and neutral safety and if you wire these in it is not necessary to run linkage to the column you can lock the column to the firewall in park and your key will unlock the column.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
Make sure whatever shifter you decide on that it will rachet and lock into gear both up and down if you are going with a reverse manual valve body in your trans.
Also with an aftermarket shifter there are usually provisions to mount micro switches for both the reverse lights and neutral safety and if you wire these in it is not necessary to run linkage to the column you can lock the column to the firewall in park and your key will unlock the column.

yes I was looking into that and some of them specifically say not for reverse valve body. looks like the 2 I want to use both are acceptable for reverse valve bodies. And yes that is the plan as far as the neutral safety switch and reverse lights go.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I believe those just come in a white gel coat, it would be up to you to customize and finish it to your liking.

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
I believe those just come in a white gel coat, it would be up to you to customize and finish it to your liking.
thats how it appeared to me AKA gonna be a sh*t show as paint / finishing items is not my specialty lolol i been talkin to mikes montes about the factory blue console

6spdg37s

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2016
so hurst V-matic 3 or the B&M megashifter ?? to be honest they look like the exact same product, the companies even seem to be the same parent company... I feel like the hurst is a better quality shifter for some reason but im not sure why i feel like that...

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor