83MONTESS 496/8.5 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 18, 2013
Sarasota, Fla
in regards to fuel pump placement i placed my holley blue on the frame infront of the passenger rear tire, pretty good spot for it, easy to run 8an safely

Very clean build, have you been to the track yet?

Last edited:

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
in regards to fuel pump placement i placed my holley blue on the frame infront of the passenger rear tire, pretty good spot for it, easy to run 8an safely

Very clean build, have you been to the track yet?
I haven't been to the track yet. This will be my first summer with the big block swap.

As for the pump....I may or may not move it. I ordered about 10 ft of 8an line so I could move it wherever I want it I suppose. I had planned on using aluminum tubing along the frame rail but after many failed attempts at flaring (line is too soft) I promptly balled it up and threw it out. I know it's not ideal to run flexible line all the way from the cell to the carb but oh well.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
in our race cars we run a flexible gas line through a metal conduit to the front of the car. Keep in mind electric pumps don't like to pull, they work better pushing the fuel

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
in our race cars we run a flexible gas line through a metal conduit to the front of the car. Keep in mind electric pumps don't like to pull, they work better pushing the fuel
The pump wherever it goes will be lower than the fuel cell by a long shot. Obviously it can't be higher than the carb but I have a couple friends with electric pumps in similar locations without issues. The one thing I learned from all of them is to run a kill switch and use a bypass style regulator to help the pump stay cool and not overworked.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I figured you had that covered but I just wanted to mention it. You must be getting anxious to get the SS on the road.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I figured you had that covered but I just wanted to mention it. You must be getting anxious to get the SS on the road.
You have no idea lol! 3 years since I have been able to drive consistently. Seemed like everytime I drove it something would fail. With a new engine, transmission, rear end, fuel system, ignition system, front and rear suspension, and interior that should change!

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
What did you end up doing for a crossmember? I put in the Jegs TH350 under a 200-4R, and the rear end of the trans pan sits on the crossmember. I debated ordering the Jegs TH400 and fabbing a an extension, or cutting up the TH350 crossmember and rewelding the side pieces at the correct angle. About 20 years a go I folded a piece of 11-gauge sheetmetal to match the GM frame pad material. I kept a scrap to use as a pattern later, but I don't have access to a big brake anymore.

Attachments

• DSCN5671.JPG
    DSCN5671.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN5672.JPG
    DSCN5672.JPG
    361.5 KB · Views: 234
  • DSCN5664.JPG
    DSCN5664.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 213

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
What did you end up doing for a crossmember? I put in the Jegs TH350 under a 200-4R, and the rear end of the trans pan sits on the crossmember. I debated ordering the Jegs TH400 and fabbing a an extension, or cutting up the TH350 crossmember and rewelding the side pieces at the correct angle. About 20 years a go I folded a piece of 11-gauge sheetmetal to match the GM frame pad material. I kept a scrap to use as a pattern later, but I don't have access to a big brake anymore.
I used the one from Jegs for the TH400. I made a makeshift frame extension out of a flat piece of 1/4" steel and a couple spacers. Not pretty by any means and it bent the bottom of the frame rail down a little bit but it works. Hopefully I won't be touching the transmission until either an overdrive or 6 speed goes in it and then I will actually fabricate something more permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor