83MONTESS 496/8.5 build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys im at the end of the road with this ****ing power steering. I got the new March brackets and like my small block ones I had to make some modifications. Last time I order from March. Anyway I have the brackets on and pump mounted but there is little to no clearance between the pulley and the steering box. I had to take a grinder and cut away from the front of the pump near the shaft to clear the front March bracket for the adjuster. Still I cant get the pump to slide all the way up and it hits the steering box before it reaches the bottom of it's adjustment range. Why am I having so many issues with this when I have NEVER heard of power steering problems with big block swaps before? If I hadn't already spent quite a bit of money on a new pump and hydroboost I would just throw it all in the junk pile and go with manual steering and manual brakes.
ps problems 1 by bwollens1983, on Flickr
ps problems 2 by bwollens1983, on Flickr

Well looks like I didnt luck out with the Jegs crossmember. After trying to put it in I realized this thing is wayyyy off. Turns out it does need the extension. I called them and asked about the fitment and the tech told me it does require the frame extension and that he has had a few calls regarding the same thing. Absolutely nothing on their website says anything about it. It even said the crossmember is a direct bolt in for my 83 with no extension. So looks like im stuck to makin my own extension after all.

Alright guys I need some help here. I got one side of the new crossmember mounted up and when I went to mount the other side I realized that the trans mount is wayyy too tall. I literally need a trans mount that is only about 1/2"-3/4" tall at the most. Does anyone know where I can get one? Jegs is worthless. A paper in the box of the crossmember says that it is a "direct factory replacement" but they forget to tell you that you need the later year frame extension and evidentally a shorter trans mount. Here is what im working with :roll: This first pic is with the crossmember held up where the frame mounts would put it. You can see the tiny space between the mount and transmission.

crossmember fitment by bwollens1983, on Flickr
Here is the style of mount im using. Wayyyy too tall.
transmission mount by bwollens1983, on Flickr

Well I got bored and messed around with it some more. I loosened the engine mounts(solid Morosos) and then jacked up on the driver's side of the crossmember. I can raise it enough to mount it when I make the bracket to mount the crossmember to the frame.

I got some plumbing done and cleaned it up some just to take a photo :lol:
engine in 1 by bwollens1983, on Flickr

Trans mount idea: I have a poly mount kit that looks like a bunch of washers, poly and steel. I think I inherited it form one of my friends' garage cleanout efforts. It would take some time to find the baggie of parts, but for now, could you fab a 3-hole plate out of some 3/16" stock? IIRC, there is a void in the trans pad above where the bolt head through the Xmem would be. Make a stack of rubber/poly shims and bolt through into the TH400 holes.

Meanwhile, I'll pull out a few drawers in the garage tonight and see if I can find that kit...

if you're using solid mounts on the engine you are supposed to use the same on the transmission mount

pontiacgp said:
if you're using solid mounts on the engine you are supposed to use the same on the transmission mount
Really? I have heard from quite a few people that you should NEVER use a solid trans mount. If that's the case I could make my own then right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor