83MONTESS 496/8.5 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I just emailed Iceman and they dont offer a crossmember that can be used without the frame extension. I cant go that route because I dont have a welder capable of welding that thick of steel. Only a little body work style gasless mig. Looks like im stuck modding mine again.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You could make your own frame extension. Find an industrial shop that sells various metals. You'll need a piece approx. 20" long, 1" x 3"..1/8" thick. It would be cheaper than buying a frame extension already made. However, you'll need access to a drill press and some bolts and lock nuts in order to bolt to the frame and x-member.
I've heard of someone using a dual hump X-member from a Crown Vic or Marquis. It would have to be shortened and have the ends flattened and re-drilled.

If you choose to make your own extension, I can get you the dimensions for the holes.

I also have the MOOG #5606 springs up front. I did sit high when I first installed them years ago. It had settled over time, but it seems to be sitting high again. I've have the complete front end off the car for for almost a year. I guess it would have to resettle.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Longroof79 said:
You could make your own frame extension. Find an industrial shop that sells various metals. You'll need a piece approx. 20" long, 1" x 3"..1/8" thick. It would be cheaper than buying a frame extension already made. However, you'll need access to a drill press and some bolts and lock nuts in order to bolt to the frame and x-member.
I've heard of someone using a dual hump X-member from a Crown Vic or Marquis. It would have to be shortened and have the ends flattened and re-drilled.

If you choose to make your own extension, I can get you the dimensions for the holes.
I will keep that in mind but I dont wanna go with the frame extension. I would like to find a crossmember that doesnt require frame mods. I will see if I can modify mine to clear.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Okay, good luck with that. If you change your mind, let me know.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Well I found a crossmember on Jegs that doesnt need the frame extension. I got it on sale for only $125 but navigating that site makes me remember why I spend my money at Summit :lol: Also picked up a drain plug kit and temp probe weld in bung for my transmission pan.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
-83MONTESS- said:
Well I found a crossmember on Jegs that doesnt need the frame extension. I got it on sale for only $125 but navigating that site makes me remember why I spend my money at Summit :lol: Also picked up a drain plug kit and temp probe weld in bung for my transmission pan.

I couldn't agree more, a lot of times I go to Summit first to find the part number of something and then go to Jegs to see if they have it and then I search the internet for the best price out there and have Jegs match it.

godlemmy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 14, 2011
Cleveland,oh
i solved the frame extension problem by cutting out the frame mount from one that had a od trans in it.(late g-body cutlass)i set thr trans in,bolted the x-member to the trans and tacked the frame mount where it needed to be.pulled out the x-member to finish weld and was done.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I havent been able to get much done because of work and the holiday but I finally got around to making an air cleaner base to seal to my cowl hood. Im one of the very few that will actually have a functional cowl hood it seems. I dont think I will be able to fit the 5" tall K&N air filter though :lol: I will go with the tallest I can fit under the 2" hood. Im waiting on my crossmember, power steering brackets, fuel pump fittings and some other small sh*t I already forgot about. Here's some p*rn
new air cleaner by bwollens1983, on Flickr

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is looking great, you must be anxious to get it fired up. For the air filter have you looked at the Amsoil filter?. It's reusable and to clean you just use some compressed air. It's alot easier to clean and there is no kit to buy to recharge it.

EaAR_300px.jpg

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
565bbchevy said:
-83MONTESS- said:

I couldn't agree more, a lot of times I go to Summit first to find the part number of something and then go to Jegs to see if they have it and then I search the internet for the best price out there and have Jegs match it.

Yup,I like Jeg's but Summit's wesite search rules all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor