84' Cutlass pro touring build

Mistakes can be made in every endeavor. I made one after another. Just my fault per usual 🙄
I thought first coat was fine but I must've been wrong. Second coat i laid on too thick and have a few massive runs. Now after it's flashed about 3 hours I see fish eyes. The few larger ones are maybe 3/16" and the rest are really small. Pictures didn't really pick them up but there's at least 100 of them.
I'm going to have some Knob Creek and drift a little to a better place. I'm pretty sure I know what I did to cause the eyes 👀
20220320_201828.jpg
20220320_201839.jpg

If you zoom in you can see the wonderful job i did with welding the seam. I'm embarrassed to show these. First 4 or 5 tacks I started were ok. Then they were not. Only had 7lbs of argon at the start. I should have stopped right there and waited for a better day.

Also a decent sized spider must have been too close to the fumes so when I checked everything out after cleaning paint gun and stuff he was dead center of the quarter. Tough bastage was still struggling. My attempt to pick him off led to him breaking free and hobbled an inch away but not before ripping off one of his legs. And again... and again
Finally got him and his 3 appendages picked off. I had no idea that would be the easiest part of the upcoming disasters.

Mistakes can be made in every endeavor. I made one after another. Just my fault per usual 🙄
I thought first coat was fine but I must've been wrong. Second coat i laid on too thick and have a few massive runs. Now after it's flashed about 3 hours I see fish eyes. The few larger ones are maybe 3/16" and the rest are really small. Pictures didn't really pick them up but there's at least 100 of them.
I'm going to have some Knob Creek and drift a little to a better place. I'm pretty sure I know what I did to cause the eyes 👀 View attachment 194731View attachment 194733

Don’t be too hard on yourself Tony, it happens to the best of us, myself included. Bodywork is all about cleanliness when getting ready to shoot. Clean, clean, and clean some more. And when you think it’s clean enough, clean it again. That includes BEFORE you ever start sanding. If you don’t, you’re just sanding the impurities into the surface.

To ease your guilt, epoxy fisheyes’ very easily. Good news is though, after the second coat of high build primer, they will all have but disappeared. All but the worst ones anyways.
Keep the faith brother.

Don’t be too hard on yourself Tony, it happens to the best of us, myself included. Bodywork is all about cleanliness when getting ready to shoot. Clean, clean, and clean some more. And when you think it’s clean enough, clean it again. That includes BEFORE you ever start sanding. If you don’t, you’re just sanding the impurities into the surface.

To ease your guilt, epoxy fisheyes’ very easily. Good news is though, after the second coat of high build primer, they will all have but disappeared. All but the worst ones anyways.
Keep the faith brother.
Thanks. Appreciate it and I'm happy you said i don't have to grind out the eyes!?! Hope that's what you mean. I thought I'd have to sand them all down...

Thanks. Appreciate it and I'm happy you said i don't have to grind out the eyes!?! Hope that's what you mean. I thought I'd have to sand them all down...
Ever seen a lady that looks a whole bunch better with makeup than without?

2k primer is the makeup. It covers and fills A LOT!! And it is extremely forgiving once you start sanding it.

If you zoom in you can see the wonderful job i did with welding the seam. I'm embarrassed to show these. First 4 or 5 tacks I started were ok. Then they were not. Only had 7lbs of argon at the start. I should have stopped right there and waited for a better day.

Also a decent sized spider must have been too close to the fumes so when I checked everything out after cleaning paint gun and stuff he was dead center of the quarter. Tough bastage was still struggling. My attempt to pick him off led to him breaking free and hobbled an inch away but not before ripping off one of his legs. And again... and again
Finally got him and his 3 appendages picked off. I had no idea that would be the easiest part of the upcoming disasters.
If something lands in your paint while it's wet, NEVER touch it. I know that seems counterintuitive, but what's about the paint will come right off, and what's below you won't see once you wet sand it. Learned that from an old friend that is a much better body man than I will ever be

Thanks for all your input
Donovan I used wax and grease remover after blowing clean air to get dust off panel. Then I used spray away glass cleaner. Then I wiped down with wax/grease again. Blue shop towel showed no dirt after 3rd wipe down. Mixed primer (and problem is here) and tacked right before spray. Here's the rub. My feeble mind decided to use a syringe to get 5oz of epoxy exactly then equal hardener. After reading many posts I found that the rubber plunger wouldn't cause silicone to be added to primer. I'm pretty sure that's my issue. I have primed the fenders and had zero problems. The syringe was the only change
Don't be like me. Stay away from syringes 💉 😤 lol 😆

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor