84' Cutlass pro touring build

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
Looking good. Your definitely one of lucky ones.
Just a suggestion but I wouldn't use blue shop towels for final wipe.
1648329765795869904825167083834.jpg
16483298329592356091599779648586.jpg

The tork are better. I get them from my stepdad who works in medical supplies. Any lint-free rag will work. And when your done using them for paint prep, just throw them in a box and use later for less precise jobs. Those blue rags fall apart and leave behind residue etc. I started out using blue shop rags, but after I spent 200$ on my 1st gallon of epoxy primer I couldn't justify the risk.
If you haven't looked up and watched Kevin tetz(eastwood) series on YouTube it's invaluable for someone painting there own car.

Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Looking good. Your definitely one of lucky ones.
Just a suggestion but I wouldn't use blue shop towels for final wipe. View attachment 195180 View attachment 195181
The tork are better. I get them from my stepdad who works in medical supplies. Any lint-free rag will work. And when your done using them for paint prep, just throw them in a box and use later for less precise jobs. Those blue rags fall apart and leave behind residue etc. I started out using blue shop rags, but after I spent 200$ on my 1st gallon of epoxy primer I couldn't justify the risk.
If you haven't looked up and watched Kevin tetz(eastwood) series on YouTube it's invaluable for someone painting there own car.
Thanks. I'll check them out.
BTW what kind of epoxy costs that much??? Holy crap.

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
That seam sealer is a bear to grind.
Used a wood chisel believe it or not
Things I've learned... The flimsyness of the roof is scary. Any recommendations? I have the SCT tool which is pretty heavy duty. It's fine on sturdier metal. If I have to use a small angle grinder with 2 or 3 inch sanding discs (rolok) or bristle type It's going to take an eternity

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The flimsyness of the roof is scary. Any recommendations?
When I installed my power sunroof in my Regal I had to cut the center brace for it to clear and found after that the roof was not strong enough to fully support the sunroof when open.
So I cut some 1/8" aluminum and scuffed it and the roof up and then used Panelbond to secure it. I used a couple of HF cargo support bars to put pressure on it until it cured and it worked so well I added a few more pieces across the back area of the roof and now the roof is very rigid everywhere.

IMG_20210619_204816772 (1).jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
When I installed my power sunroof in my Regal I had to cut the center brace for it to clear and found after that the roof was not strong enough to fully support the sunroof when open.
So I cut some 1/8" aluminum and scuffed it and the roof up and then used Panelbond to secure it. I used a couple of HF cargo support bars to put pressure on it until it cured and it worked so well I added a few more pieces across the back area of the roof and now the roof is very rigid everywhere.

View attachment 195344
Genius!!! I think I'm going to do it

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
That seam sealer is a bear to grind.
Used a wood chisel believe it or not
Things I've learned... The flimsyness of the roof is scary. Any recommendations? I have the SCT tool which is pretty heavy duty. It's fine on sturdier metal. If I have to use a small angle grinder with 2 or 3 inch sanding discs (rolok) or bristle type It's going to take an eternity
I'd mask the partimeter of the roof off like three inches around and chemical strip the majority of the surface.strip the edges w/machine afterwards.those areas are strong and won't distort like the rest of it will with the/any machine.the last thing you want is to insert any heat into that panel.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I'd mask the partimeter of the roof off like three inches around and chemical strip the majority of the surface.strip the edges w/machine afterwards.those areas are strong and won't distort like the rest of it will with the/any machine.the last thing you want is to insert any heat into that panel.
I bought and tried stripper on a front fender. I was not impressed. I can try it again.

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor