84' Cutlass pro touring build

Did you check the whole door horizontally with a straight edge? Especially adjacent to the patches in the middle of the door skin. With the look of those welds, I doubt he took his time so he didn't overheat and warp it but you could be lucky( you are judging by that vinyl roof) What rust converter did you use? Some of it has acid in it and isn't suitable under epoxy primer. Take a pick and poke at the areas you've "converted" underneath will probably be brown rust. The only stuff I found that worked (barely) is ospho. As for the inside of the door. Blast it with epoxy primer, then before it cures poke the weep holes clear. Then sling a bunch of cavity wax in it. That's my plan anyway.
I am very familiar with olds cool and D's work for sure 👍
I've asked him many questions and he takes the time to explain to the Nth degree. Also Kevin Tetz among many others on YouTube. I bet I've watched 100x more than actual work time I have on body. I am addicted to watching stuff like that.
The door looked almost perfect when it was on the car. I have a small ding dead center that I have to hammer and dolly. When I'm done stripping it totally down to metal, I have a feeling I'm going to have many scrapes and scratches on forearms from reaching inside door to do what's needed. The converter i used is Eastwood stuff. It's made to go under epoxy primer
Time will tell. If I mess up I'll start again. I'm really digging this stuff. Sanding every nook and cranny. It's tedious but I'm learning a ton. The only downside to me is the mess.

Tony, I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying the process, many if not most, don’t. It definitely takes the right kind of person and the right mindset to tackle bodywork projects, and more importantly, see them through to the end. A lot of guys start out gangbusters tearing things apart and stripping paint and panels down, only to fizzle out when the drudgery begins.

And make no mistake, it will begin. There are many aspects of bodywork that are soul-draining monotony and drudgery, and these are the times that will test your resolve. The struggle really is real. There are times that aren’t too bad, enjoyable even, but there are also other times where it’s pure misery but need to be done.

As someone that’s currently elbow deep in filler and sanding work on my rear firewall, I can personally attest to that. As I explained to my better half last night when she told me to “have fun”, there are things that are “fun”, and there are things that are just plain necessary. What I’m doing falls under the latter category. But I digress, I just want you to be prepared for the unpleasant times ahead.

As for explaining things to “the Nth degree”, I make no apologies for that. Information is power, always has been, and always will be. I feel too many sources out there tend to gloss over things like the reasons why something needs to be done, and that can be frustrating. Personally, if I understand the root cause of a problem and why a particular procedure fixes or repairs it, it can help me with the repair because I understand what’s happening and how to correct it. Therefore, the more information I can relate when describing something, the better. At least that’s how I justify it in my head.

As for the two patches in question in your post, I think you’ll be just fine keeping them. I did see the pitting RabbitHoleSS brought up, and was concerned about that as well, but it sounds like you’re already addressed that correctly. The same way I would have at least.

You’re definitely on the right path and being meticulous in your approaches, keep up the good work. And as always, guys like me, melloelky, RabbitHoleSS, 08Malibu and others are always here to help you out when you get stuck.

D.

. I feel too many sources out there tend to gloss over things like the reasons why something needs to be done, and that can be frustrating. Personally, if I understand the root cause of a problem and why a particular procedure fixes or repairs it, it can help me with the repair because I understand what’s happening and how to correct it. Therefore, the more information I can relate when describing something, the better. At least that’s how I justify it in my head.
This ^^^ right here is exactly the way I think. I need to know the how's and why's of procedure. My Nth degree comment was only meant as a compliment and I hope you understood this. I have worked my whole life using this thought process and I can tell you would be a great co worker. Too many guys like to keep information to themselves. Making you guess. Laughing at the mistakes made instead of helping.
But I digress. Thanks to everyone here who chimes in. All thoughts, ideas, and opinions are appreciated.

This ^^^ right here is exactly the way I think. I need to know the how's and why's of procedure. My Nth degree comment was only meant as a compliment and I hope you understood this. I have worked my whole life using this thought process and I can tell you would be a great co worker. Too many guys like to keep information to themselves. Making you guess. Laughing at the mistakes made instead of helping.
But I digress. Thanks to everyone here who chimes in. All thoughts, ideas, and opinions are appreciated.

No worries man, I wasn’t offended in the least by your Nth degree comment. I knew what you meant. I work in a very technical position and often times I feel like I’m over explaining things to my customers when there’s a problem but it’s often necessary so they get the grasp of what I’m trying to convey. I’d rather be accused of going into too much depth on a topic than not explaining it thoroughly enough.
That same mentality applies here as well I guess.

Great response D!!

Tony, please take this with no disrespect to the unbelievable amount of time and effort to the body work, I’m following you, BUT (notice caps), I’m waiting for you to crank the beetch up with the Holley and make some smoke (with something other than a welder) 😉

Keep at it man and keep the faith. I just caught up on the last 25+ posts - GREAT job!!!

Great response D!!

Tony, please take this with no disrespect to the unbelievable amount of time and effort to the body work, I’m following you, BUT (notice caps), I’m waiting for you to crank the beetch up with the Holley and make some smoke (with something other than a welder) 😉

Keep at it man and keep the faith. I just caught up on the last 25+ posts - GREAT job!!!
She starts immediately and sounds very healthy but I haven't shifted out of park yet. That day will come!

Built paint booth with intake filtration and fans. I can move filter wall in future to get room but for now due to lack of space this will do. Getting good air flow through filters when I did smoke test (cigar)
20220514_111457.jpg
20220514_111519.jpg
20220514_122933.jpg
20220514_122007.jpg

Holy bejesus, your committed🤣🤣🤣

After last week of July temps today it is 73 degrees with 36% humidity. Quite a bit of work leading here and lots more to go. Good feeling of accomplishment. I need much practice handling paint gun. There are a few dings where the vinyl was and a hum dinger
20220516_144910.jpg
20220516_144835.jpg
r (😆) near center of roof by windshield. Booth did well at extraction. I'm tired
20220516_144823.jpg

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor