84' Cutlass pro touring build

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes, big time. You'll even find it's hard to close the door with new weatherstripping for a few months.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
aligning/adjusting these doors and the frame-less window assemblies are the gbody trifecta of fu*kery.get the doors the best you can with the windows down and or removed.once you're happy(or remotely satisfied)with the lines,then introduce the windows and upper window seals.with the windows up they add a whole new series of sounds and resistance to cycling these doors. the final blow to any car project is the addtion of the weatherstrip.it will make you think everything you've done up to this point is wrong as the doors take on yet another form of behavior.stay the course,we're here for you.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
aligning/adjusting these doors and the frame-less window assemblies are the gbody trifecta of fu*kery.get the doors the best you can with the windows down and or removed.once you're happy(or remotely satisfied)with the lines,then introduce the windows and upper window seals.with the windows up they add a whole new series of sounds and resistance to cycling these doors. the final blow to any car project is the addtion of the weatherstrip.it will make you think everything you've done up to this point is wrong as the doors take on yet another form of behavior.stay the course,we're here for you.
Considering the above.
I have the door as well adjusted as I am able. Door to rear quarter is nice but not perfect. Center of door is .195 which is. 0075 more than .1875 or 3/16 of an inch. I'm splitting hairs here. Top of door is .205 not horrible. But bottom opens up to .230 and you can see it. I'd like to fix specifically that and get closer to .195
Am I being too crazy 🤔
All other mating surfaces are very close. Some parts of lower door need to be slightly hammered out by maybe 1/32 to get straight edge perfect.Paintsticksareexactly. 125
20220604_083813.jpg
20220604_083842.jpg
20220604_084246.jpg
20220604_084252.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Looks good from here! Gotta remember, vehicle quality from the Big 3 wasn't the greatest, so unless you spend about 10x more time on it, that's probably as good as you're going to get it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Looks good from here! Gotta remember, vehicle quality from the Big 3 wasn't the greatest, so unless you spend about 10x more time on it, that's probably as good as you're going to get it.
Lol. Tell me about it. I'll do a little more tweaking before I start blocking. Love this stuff.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
paint sticks do come in handy.something to keep in mind is,through out this whole process of bodywork/refinishing the gaps will get a little bit smaller by default.you may find when you hang/start to square up the nose you might end up having to split the difference between the fender to door and if you're shooting for something exact,that changes everything..there's a good chance that might happen with these cars.i would address your hinges on both doors,reinstal,install the nose and see where everything wants the live first and then begin the fine tuning by whatever means.yes it's a lot of work but it's part if it.

• Agree

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
paint sticks do come in handy.something to keep in mind is,through out this whole process of bodywork/refinishing the gaps will get a little bit smaller by default.you may find when you hang/start to square up the nose you might end up having to split the difference between the fender to door and if you're shooting for something exact,that changes everything..there's a good chance that might happen with these cars.i would address your hinges on both doors,reinstal,install the nose and see where everything wants the live first and then begin the fine tuning by whatever means.yes it's a lot of work but it's part if it.
Yes I am getting prepared for this. Driver door pins and bushings are new. Just pulled passenger door and began stripping to metal. Will rebuild hinges also. They are not as worn as drivers side but absolutely will be done. I learned a lot from getting drivers door straight. I realize now the importance of using a straight edge to find highs and lows so they can be tended to with a little hammer work. Passenger side is in much better shape. Zero pitting zero rust. Found what must've been a good dent that was pulled previously. It is not 100% and that's because there is no way to reach inside door in this area. But some taps here and there and it's better. Nothing a skim of filler won't fix. Moving along.... might get her in epoxy today. Thanks again.

Reactions: 7 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I was worried about passenger side rocker.

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day.... 🎶 🎵
20220608_115345.jpg
20220608_115351.jpg
20220608_115423.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor