84' Cutlass pro touring build

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
between the covered roof and rocker looks like you're starting of w/a good candidate Tony,ahead of most of us.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Houston78

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Dude, I had a hard time installing new door hinges. I could not align anything to save my life! I will not attempt to fix it, I'm sending to a body shop after the motor swap.

Your thread is awesome and I would like to have your ability/skill! Great build!!

Reactions: 1 user

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Dude, I had a hard time installing new door hinges. I could not align anything to save my life! I will not attempt to fix it, I'm sending to a body shop after the motor swap.

Your thread is awesome and I would like to have your ability/skill! Great build!!
Nothing is easy that's for sure. Your last two sentences.... Wow. I consider myself an amateur still learning from every mistake. I appreciate it though. If I can align a door anyone can. Trust me.

Reactions: 4 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Last 4 days I've been working on block sanding the roof. Had some low spots that I used finishing glaze and honestly some were so small that I think another round of hi build would have taken care of them.
These are days where temps were mid to upper 90's. At least two t shirt changes a day.
Anyway I have questions. Some spots I hit bare metal, others down to epoxy. All lows are gone.
Do I just spot prime the bare metal or would you also lay a thin coat of epoxy on filled areas???
My plan is to do another round of high build and it should be 100%

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Last 4 days I've been working on block sanding the roof. Had some low spots that I used finishing glaze and honestly some were so small that I think another round of hi build would have taken care of them.
These are days where temps were mid to upper 90's. At least two t shirt changes a day.
Anyway I have questions. Some spots I hit bare metal, others down to epoxy. All lows are gone.
Do I just spot prime the bare metal or would you also lay a thin coat of epoxy on filled areas???
My plan is to do another round of high build and it should be 100%
90 degree days you worked for a living there good for you..if your high build isn't direct to metal then those break through spots need either a light coat of self etch or spot them in with epoxy and re-coat the panel with high build like you planned.

• Agree

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
90 degree days you worked for a living there good for you..if your high build isn't direct to metal then those break through spots need either a light coat of self etch or spot them in with epoxy and re-coat the panel with high build like you planned.
Thanks Chris... I worked my entire life in boiler rooms. I'm used to the heat but I don't like it. I sweat like no one else. Trying to keep from dripping on work.
Just wasn't sure if hi build was ok over filler. Stupid, I know.

Reactions: 2 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Thanks Chris... I worked my entire life in boiler rooms. I'm used to the heat but I don't like it. I sweat like no one else. Trying to keep from dripping on work.
Just wasn't sure if hi build was ok over filler. Stupid, I know.
no worries.ask away Tony.high build over filler all day.did you get a tech sheet with the products you're using,a lot of times there labels on products are informative also.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
no worries.ask away Tony.high build over filler all day.did you get a tech sheet with the products you're using,a lot of times there labels on products are informative also.
I've read so much... I should have known that. It's fine on product sheet. Matter of fact I did it on front fenders but it's been so darn long...
I've got the whole rest of the car to block out before I add more primer.
Plus stripping trunk lid and hood..

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
I've mocked up the quarter glass and fitment to body is very good. Also the large chrome trim piece that runs from back of door up to roof since it overlaps towards the quarter glass and that whole area was vinyl. Speaking of... here is mock up of rear glass trim. I need to do a little more tweaking on passenger top side as you can see in last picture. A little sanding should allow the very corner rise up and fill the gap.
20220621_160552.jpg
20220621_160559.jpg
20220621_160610.jpg
20220621_160650.jpg
Since this was vinyl I have zero knowledge of where this trim sits. Is it flush to the body as I have it right now or does it sit in or out a little? I have no reference On editi realize now that all this should have been done when she was in bare metal... Learn learn learn🤔

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor