BUILD THREAD 84 Hurst Olds - TechG8

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, you might want to check to see if the bulb is ok before sticking everything back together. If you want everything to work, you want to make sure everything actually does work. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
IIRC now that I think about it the bulb was like a modified 168 bulb or something that basically projected the light upward toward the fiberoptic line. It was sorta concave or flat or something. Don't quote me on that.

Good point about an LED. That might be the best option.

Reactions: 1 users

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
great info guys thanks.

The square hole in the pic is for the rear defroster switch.

I finished up the dash and console install today and.... what a difference a simple clean and repaint makes to the interior! I looks like a whole different car!

I took the project as an opportunity to clean up some hacked wiring back there. I even got the original radio/cassette player to fire up. The radio needs a new power switch, and the power antenna isn't going up but other than that its all cleaned up. Ive got two new front speakers on the way, and Ill troubleshoot the antenna later. Not sure what Ill do bout the power button. I have to hold it in. It wont click in, click out like it should. Fun project anyhow for a rainy day..

The interior lamps ran the battery pretty low while I worked on it. I got some funny readings on my oil pressure and voltage gages when I started it up, which seemed to clear up once the engine got hot and I had driven it around the block. if low V wasn't the cause, I might have to pull the dash cluster again and have a look at the circuit sheet again.

anyhow, now that I am out of that dash/console repaint rabbithole, Its back to the Ttop repair. I think my next step is body filler.......

redonedash.jpg

Reactions: 7 users

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I got some time to work some filler at the Apillars

I think I have some epoxy primer left over from the 72 GS that I can spray on the new panel and filler. Then Ill follow up with some high build and smooth it out.

20180621_164610.jpg 20180623_164146.jpg 20180623_164223.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I just figured out that the dash is easiest to pull with its harness attached to it.

Next time I'll do it right and spare me the headaches. LOL

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I sold my 72 Buick GS 455 Stg1 clone so I am back down to 1 car finally! the Hurst olds!

Looking forward to dedicating myself to this project. I will update here as I go.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
I would like to get a windshield installed before the winter.

To that end I installed the screw in trim catch studs, and shot epoxyprimer on the new Ttop panel.

I will paint the inner windshield channel area then get it installed.

Not sure but I think I might pull the trans and engine for cleanup/regasket over the winter. Tempted by a 455 swap too. But I want to keep it original...…..hmm...

20181006_100417.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You could make a 455 look like your factory 307 to the untrained eye without much trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor