84 regal, 350 Chevy no oil through push rods

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I'll get priming tool tomorrow and check pressure first, appreciate everything everyone. I'm pretty excited about the car
You can make one out of an old distributor if you have one lying around. Just grind off the cam gear and cut the top off with a hack saw. Use 1/2 in. drill to spin it. Its been a while but im pretty sure that's how we used to do it.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
You can make one out of an old distributor if you have one lying around. Just grind off the cam gear and cut the top off with a hack saw. Use 1/2 in. drill to spin it. Its been a while but im pretty sure that's how we used to do it.

I looked into it, I have a few extra distributors, autozone has a free rentatool oil pump primer. Thank you everyone I'll let you know results tomorrow

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
I looked into it, I have a few extra distributors, autozone has a free rentatool oil pump primer. Thank you everyone I'll let you know results tomorrow

So good news everyone, hooked up oil gauge today and it held 45ish pressure while using priming tool. Started it up a couple times and got oil to come out a bit both sides. Didnt run long enough to see from everyone but I'm sure it's good. Thanks everyone I'll post pics soon

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
So good news everyone, hooked up oil gauge today and it held 45ish pressure while using priming tool. Started it up a couple times and got oil to come out a bit both sides. Didnt run long enough to see from everyone but I'm sure it's good. Thanks everyone I'll post pics soon

Here a link to YouTube video of it fired up

84regalbuick

Apprentice
Jun 1, 2019
i was thinking maybe where the pickup goes into the pump might have been compromised from whatever dented the pan.

This is when I had the pan off, I dont think it was damaged there was clearance between pickup and pan.

We did get some oil to shoot up just couldnt run it too long without radiator.

Motor sat for years and probably 6-8 months without oil in it

Attachments

• Resized_Screenshot_20200209-183848_Gallery.jpeg
    Resized_Screenshot_20200209-183848_Gallery.jpeg
    407.6 KB · Views: 149

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I always prime a new build. Oil starts to fill the oil galleys then it starts to fill the lifters. (I always prime with push rods off the lifters) when the air bubbles stop then I put the push rods in and prime them to the rockers. Lots of air form the oil pump to the rockers. Some time it takes longer. A 5w30 is easer to prime then a 20w50.

• Agree

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On a new engine my rockers and pushrods have been installed, everything has been lubed and a very accurate lash has been set before the engine ever goes in the engine bay, when I prime it I slowly turn the engine over at the same time, IMO 60+ lbs of oil pressure will work it's way through without the need for doing an in car assembly and lash setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor