Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Based on what you've said above, here's my next novel. Let's go front to back and leave the engine/trans to last.

You first want to look at a v8 cutlass or regal for the radiator top plate. It holds the larger core to the top of your existing g radiator, and bolts on where your plastic shroud attaches now. A turbo v6 regal from 1986-87 with the intercooler also has one, but these often cost more as the turbo guys need them for the specific extra studs that hold the ac lInes in those cars.

You now have a choice: grab the V8 fan shroud off that same regal/cutlass if you are using a clutch driven fan off the water pump, OR, do not buy that shroud and instead remove the rotating mass and drag of that fan by using an electric fan setup.

Next, you need the frame side of the sbc motor mounts. These can come from any v8 monte carlo, a v8 grand prix, or, certain Canadian built and Canadian sold v8 cutlass cars. Being in new england, I saw a few of them around in my time living there, especially far northern areas, as the Canadian cars had a sbc rather than the 307 from the factory.

Springs/shocks are your choice, same with potential poly bushings or rubber in the suspension while you have it apart.

It sounds like you are going carbed, which is what I will base all the rest off of, otherwise you want a 4.3 monte or turbo 3.8 regal gas tank for the internal baffle provisions, and would need to upgrade fuel lines/in tank fuel pump and sending unit as well.

Brings us to driveline itself, the meat of what you are after. This time I go back to front, just to make you squirm a bit in anticipation.

For stock power levels your 7.5" rear end will live, if you don't abuse it and do burnouts, flogging on the car. The highway gears dont go a ton to help you either. To the extent you want a short term change for new steeper gearing per that calculator I showed you before, you have the following options: cheapest upgrade to gear, without adding strength, is a 3.73 rear from a monte ss. For a few hundred more than that, I have a friend in western mass who still parts out gbodies all the time, and always gets 8.5" rear ends from 442 (3.73) and ttype/gn regals (3.42). To go with the 8.5 you need the matching driveshaft as well.

Transmission is your next stop and that th200c you've got isn't worth bothering with. It won't hold up well at all, doesn't have the correct bolt pattern to mate to a sbc, and to be honest, rather than waste money on an adapter you are better off buying what you want to use longer term anyways. For ease of sourcing I say 200-4r, likely looking to a Montecarlo donor here, although come cars did have dual bolt pattern bellhousings. With the 2004r you grab the matching factory crossmember on the cheap, or even modify the one you have, and you already have the factory holes in place on your frame rails to bolt it in place, no drilling. Remember to swap the speedo driven gear to match whatever rear end you are choosing to use. (I like plug and play) getting good used or recently rebuilt from a wrecked car or abandoned project is easy, and gets you driving for now while you save for a full rebuild later. No need to spend extra on a fully rebuilt unit now.

Ahh, and your favorite, the engine. From what you describe, and in the interests of cheap, I would like to recommend a 1986 350 from a full size chevy/gmc truck. That truck 350 will have a 4 bolt main, and, 1986 was when they phased in the one piece rear main seal instead of the 2 piece design. This means no removing the rear main cap to change it out, you can do it while the Trans is out. Also, 1986 was the final year of the older style cylinder heads before going to the center bolt design. Tons and tons of CHEAP go fast parts and carbed intakes for the 86-down blocks, the center bolt heads usually leave you paying higher prices or going new. The 1986 was the hybrid block - had the newer oil pan, flywheel counterbalance, and lower block casting design with 1pc rear main of the 87-up motors that were so reliable out to 300k, 400k miles, but, it was drilled on the top end for the heads and old school parts of 1985 down which makes it cheaper to build.

A grand prix/monte/canadian cutlass can give you what you need for the ac condenser for the lines to match up right and keep your air, but, beware using headers from a different application. Even if they can be made to fit the frame rails and such, they can sometimes interfere with mounting your front accessories.

Let me know if that instills any questions...and if I think of more, I'll add it.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I don't think I would be even worried about a 4 bolt block. unless he plans to exceed at least 450hp whats the point? that is likely not an easy block to find

Reactions: 1 user

Stuart

Apprentice
May 26, 2015
The purests don’t want to see a SBC in anything but a chevy but they are the easiest and cheapest to do. if it was me and this is a combo that I have done. find a late model vortec engine out of a suburban or similar. These engines are all over the place, they are setup for factory silicone gaskets, 1 piece rear mains, they are factory roller cam blocks, they use modern piston rings, powdered rods and they have vortec heads. The vortec heads are in my opinion the best factory head that you can use. at that point you will need a vortec intake, no big deal if you already need a intake any ways. get a serpentine belt setup off of a late 80s/early 90s Camaro. At this point you have gained everything of a modern engine minus EFI and you can always add that later if you choose to, I am currently working on a holley stealth ram on mine. all of these parts are going to be just about the same price in the end as a older sbc with v belts. Another thing to encourage the sbc vs olds or buick is that olds and buick never offered serpentine setups, well sealing gaskets, most of them have no factory roller cams and they are harder to find in general. I guess my big thing is if you are going to spend the money, you might as well make it as modern as you can with all of the improvements that came in the late 80s and 90s. it’s a cake walk to get the thing bolted into the car, motor mounts on the frame and clam shells are readily available. As far as transmissions, a TH350 is the easiest, I preffer a 200 4R but they do have some headaches and added time to get them working correctly vs a 350. By that I am meaning getting the TV cable adjusted correctly with geometry bracket and getting the lock up wired in. don’t worry about springs or rear end until you have accomplished the engine swap, deal with those later. these are just my thoughts and opinions
I would like to agree with everything here. I kept my stock 250 Trans and got the adapter plate just for now. The engine mounts are easy to find, I just got new ones from an 84 Monte ss with v8 and bolted them to my frame. Also I didn't think about it but you will need new motor mount bolts as the v8 are longer. It took me about 2 days to swap the engine so it's fairly easy. I would like to agree with the spring situation but add to my earlier response. I bought moog front springs for a cutlass with the v8. They were about $65 for the pair but the worst pain I've ever dealt with so id wait to see how I looks first

Brougham'84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2015
Hey ck80,

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate the time you've put into giving me a hand with this. I've been waiting for my holiday bonus so I sort of slowed down looking for parts but as the holidays are upon us, so is my bonus. Hopefully I will be able to find some of what I need for some fair prices.

With help from a few people, including you, I've been building up a little bit of a shopping list.

Thanks for the tip on he '86 350's. That's something I would have had no idea about. I will say that as far as the engine goes, whatever I get it out of I would like to tear it down and give it a nice fresh rebuild. Maybe get some mild cams and stuff. You know?

Any how. As I start picking up parts I'm sure I'll have more questions. I'll try to include some pictures as I peg in the project. Let you see what you helped build! Although it may be a little while before that happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor