85 3.8 distributor timing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Repops are available
He meant lining is a good option for cars that tanks AREN'T available. HE ordered a new tank.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
It kind of goes without saying, but imma sway it anyway; remember to replace the under body fuel filter in the frame rail. Odds are it's the original, and it long ago disintegrated. Fuel filters are NOT supposed to let chunks of anything through.

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
It kind of goes without saying, but imma sway it anyway; remember to replace the under body fuel filter in the frame rail. Odds are it's the original, and it long ago disintegrated. Fuel filters are NOT supposed to let chunks of anything through.

on the 85 cutlass. does it have a filter on the frame rail? im not sure, but flushing the lines out(put a fitting ona 2 liter soda bottle,pushed fresh gas into the line from the fuel pump and used air at 20psi to push it though) i ended up with clean fuel going into the bottle i had on the lines at the tank.i know theres fitler at the carb, but didnt think about one on the frame
got parts in today, but rainin pretty good here so no work until tomorrow......hopefully.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
on the 85 cutlass. does it have a filter on the frame rail? im not sure, but flushing the lines out(put a fitting ona 2 liter soda bottle,pushed fresh gas into the line from the fuel pump and used air at 20psi to push it though) i ended up with clean fuel going into the bottle i had on the lines at the tank.i know theres fitler at the carb, but didnt think about one on the frame
got parts in today, but rainin pretty good here so no work until tomorrow......hopefully.
It'll be a little round canister, about the size of those small pop cans they sell for kids, in the C channel of the frame next to the parking cable on the driver's side. Now, you might break some stuff depending on how rusty your car is, get a good pair of line wrenches. They are like open end wrenches, but encompass more of the bolt head/fitting so they won't slip and strip whatever you're working on. Invaluable tool if you work on vehicles. Use lots of pb blaster (my preferred penetrating lube, yes there are better ones but I like this one) and patience. Odds are that filter is 32 years old, and once you cut it open (NO SPARKS. FIRE BAD.) you'll see why it needed replaced. If it looks fairly new, as in shiney, no need to replace it. Don't be ashamed to have a shop do it, that's what they're for. Those little pita repairs that yeah, you could do, but you got other sh*t to do.

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
not seeing a filter on the frame rail. fuel lines run up the passenger side so id assume it would be on the passenger side, but I don't see a filter on the drivers side either.
been a while since ive wrenched on a regular basis, but weren't those filters on the frame usually on fuel injected engines? carbed engines had the filter at the carb?
got the tank and fuel pump in and everything back together yesterday and beings how I wasn't feelin good, that drained me. didn't even try startin her.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It'll be a little round canister, about the size of those small pop cans they sell for kids, in the C channel of the frame next to the parking cable on the driver's side. Now, you might break some stuff depending on how rusty your car is, get a good pair of line wrenches. They are like open end wrenches, but encompass more of the bolt head/fitting so they won't slip and strip whatever you're working on. Invaluable tool if you work on vehicles. Use lots of pb blaster (my preferred penetrating lube, yes there are better ones but I like this one) and patience. Odds are that filter is 32 years old, and once you cut it open (NO SPARKS. FIRE BAD.) you'll see why it needed replaced. If it looks fairly new, as in shiney, no need to replace it. Don't be ashamed to have a shop do it, that's what they're for. Those little pita repairs that yeah, you could do, but you got other sh*t to do.

he has a carburetor so what cars that came with a quadrajet which has the filter in the inlet had an alternative inline filter ?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
he has a carburetor so what cars that came with a quadrajet which has the filter in the inlet had an alternative inline filter ?
Every g body I've ever seen and had the opportunity to climb under, including mine, has a fuel filter under the car.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
So, it should have a filter under there. Over the years it might've gotten swapped out for just a piece of hard line. I've seen that as well, although in my experience it was more common on trucks for some reason.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
None of my g bodies ever had a filter on the framerail

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Every g body I've ever seen and had the opportunity to climb under, including mine, has a fuel filter under the car.

I'd like to see some pictures of those filters on a G body and a link to an article that says there is two filters on a carburated G body from factory and the part number

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor