85 3.8 distributor timing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I'd like to see some pictures of those filters on a G body and a link to an article that says there is two filters on a carburated G body from factory and the part number
I'm just saying, of all of around 30 gbodies I've worked on from 78 to 88, Montes, Regals, GPs, and cutlass's, no malibus or 4 doors yet, all had an inline fuel filter under the car. It may just have been coincidence, or a trend going around the service stations to install one, but every one I've seen, including my car, has one. What else would be in the fuel line that looks like a small soda can under the car in the frame rail, with one line in and one line out?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm just saying, of all of around 30 gbodies I've worked on from 78 to 88, Montes, Regals, GPs, and cutlass's, no malibus or 4 doors yet, all had an inline fuel filter under the car. It may just have been coincidence, or a trend going around the service stations to install one, but every one I've seen, including my car, has one. What else would be in the fuel line that looks like a small soda can under the car in the frame rail, with one line in and one line out?

:bs:

Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Aside from the slight highjacking, if this thread is still open next time I get to my car, I'll take a pic. It's in the fuel line, I have no idea what it could be. And before you ask, my car is in my backyard sinking in mud.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
All the cars I've been dealing with/working on since 1990 have been carb cars with filters in the carb inlet. I have owner a '78, '79, 2 '81's, & '86.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Aside from the slight highjacking, if this thread is still open next time I get to my car, I'll take a pic. It's in the fuel line, I have no idea what it could be. And before you ask, my car is in my backyard sinking in mud.

not just the filter....this too..."I'm just saying, of all of around 30 gbodies I've worked on "....I think your 19 years old?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
All the cars I've been dealing with/working on since 1990 have been carb cars with filters in the carb inlet. I have owner a '78, '79, 2 '81's, & '86.
not just the filter....this too..."I'm just saying, of all of around 30 gbodies I've worked on "....I think your 19 years old?
Is it that hard to believe that over the 4 or so years I've been seriously messing with cars, going to junkyards, and hanging around family friend owned exhaust shops (that also raced gbodies in demo derbys and hobby stock) that I've seen my fair share of g's? Hell, my dad had a GP, my neighbor has a Monte carlo with the roof cut off (poor car), my grandpa raced hobby stock before he switched to thunder cars, my uncle had many many malibus and elcaminos, and eventually my dad's GP... Plus the dozen or so cars I free lance worked on, I suppose that's the right term, doing random nitpicky stuff like retiming, replacing fuel pumps, gaskets, carb rebuilds and swaps, etc. It may just be happen stance that the filters were added after the cars were built, but nearly every one had one under the car.

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
I'd like to see some pictures of those filters on a G body and a link to an article that says there is two filters on a carburated G body from factory and the part number

sure wish I woulda took some pics of this one while I had it on stands. theres no splices in the fuel lines and they even have the undercoating the rest of the car has on it.BUT..im thinkin I might have it back in the air soon.
so, onto an update. this could be getting reeeeal deep.
got the tank,sending unit, and fuel pump in. a little gas down the carb and she fired up and died. lil more gas down the carb and it fired up and fuel pump primed.
then the engine started losing power real quick. and died. prolly in about 30 seconds. starter wouldn't even roll it over. 13. something volts in the battery.. hhmmmmmm...
popped the oil fill cap and top of valve train is bone dry- no oil.hhhhmmmm hhhmmm. dipstick says full just like it did before.
call owner/friend and say,'tell me EXACTLY what you did when you got this car that had been sitting for 16 years."
" I put a new battery and 3 gallons of gas in it and pulled it out and started goin down the road. it lost power and died about 1/2 mile away. couldn't get it to start so got a tow truck to get it home."
did you try restarting it?"
"yup." wouldn't even roll over."
im waiting for an oil priming tool to be brought over to see if the oil pump is workin, which who knows- maybe the oil pump dieing is the real reason why the car was parked 16 years ago.

but the stereo system sound pretty dam good! :)

Reactions: 1 user

tomsteve

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 4, 2017
been a bit, but im back. had to put the car on the backburner for a bit.
pulled distributor and primed the pump. that took a bit, but i got oil circulating. after putting distributor back in it fired right up and idled nicely. after letting it idle for about 5 minutes, i started workin the throttle a bit. seems to have a pretty good knock on decel comin from right up front- like maybe a #1 or 2 rod( or maybe something else up there that could sound like that?). other than that knock on decel it runs smooth and idles good. i had enough for one day- been a busy morning before even turning a wrench, so dropped the hood and called it a day.
one thing i realize working on this:
i kinda like the idea of serpentine belts. 4 belts arent fun to get on and adjusted.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm glad you got it running again....if those knocks appear after the engine is at operating temperature they could be carbon knocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor