85 Cutlass Supreme - Mulligan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Yup, soaked and cleaned it out. It really didn't look bad, most of what was in there was dried/powdery. This thing hasn't had gas in it for quite some time.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Yeah worse thing for a carb is to sit for a long time with fuel lol

Reactions: 1 user

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
At least visually, I don't see a single difference between the electronic and my '77 bases other than the plugs on the adustment screws that I'll have to cut out. Excellent!

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Lay the main body to throttle plate gasket from tho older carb on the newer throttle plate

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington

Here's my greasy, rusty, pig of a 77 Q-jet when I brough it home.

Here it is after a little elbow grease (and Pine Sol) was applied. I love this stuff, I've used it on aluminum cylinder heads with great success before.

The base plate is still soaking. I'm waiting for a HP rebuild kit from Cliff and a new piece of linkage before I can reassemble it.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Pine Sol, I will have to remember that. What was that carb off? Any reason you aren't trying the TBI? GM almost used the TBI on the 307, there is even 3 experimental Olds 307 swirl port manifolds out there. There is a knock sensor that is 307 specific, the 88 to 90 models used them.

Last edited:

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
Pine Sol softens hard carbon deposits like you wouldn't believe. My exhaust ports in those 5.3 heads were spotless after some scrubbing.

I think I'm still going to go TBI but I'm eager to drive the car some and get more familiar with the fuel injection swap. What I didn't mention earlier is I'm using a MS2 ecu that I'd like to feel more confident with.

I pulled the carb from a 350 in a 78 Cutlass. The part number says it's a 77 model used on 350/403. Cliff Ruggles shop felt it should run fine without major modification on the 307, their HP rebuild kit is on its way.

Reactions: 1 users

Algershick

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2015
Tacoma, Washington
That's interesting Olds307 and 403, I hadn't heard about the TBI 307 exerimental engine. I believe I saw a port injection manifold used on a Cadillac at some point. Pretty cool stuff!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor