BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Reverse slider cab be flipped, save a buck there unless someone beat you to it. The correct answer to the 5/6 driven gear is to have TX Drivetrain Performance repair yours or buy a new one. How does the gear itself look? Do you have the T56 pdf? It's a Google away and has your bearing preload specs in addition to feeler gauge air gap specs for your syncros. Basically, it needs to sit so far away from the gear it's resting on. That tells you how much friction material is left. And don't forget billet chromoly keys! I'd get the keys from Ampd Motorsports as they're the cheapest. Stay away from Tick/the gearbox/Hawks keys. They're all the same and they're all steaming hot garbage billet dogshiit. I've not heard of the Viper 2nd gear, but make sure you grab a steel 3-4 fork. The aluminum ones fail when you shift like a man.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Is this the manual you are referring to?

Cool on the reverse slider. Back looks good.
I bought my parts from TX Drivetrain so I need to give them a call and see what their lead time is.
I got the billet keys from TX drivetrain, i don't know who makes them.
I picked up the steel 3/4 fork

2nd gear viper or 01+ f body has taller syncro teeth. I had to relook it up myself.
1661140566473.png

Reverse gear is meh? Local rebuild guy said it's probably a replacement candidate. He would do it on a customer trans.
1661140060219.png

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
That reverse is more hammered than any of mine were, and I replaced the Corvette's gear so yeah if you can I'd spring for it. TX Drivetrain looks to sell the same keys as what I mentioned, just for more money so you're good there. They're billet chromoly. It's not just the height that looks different on that 2nd, it's the profile too. I noticed some updates and nuances in the C6 box vs my C5 similar to that. Manual appears to be what I was alluding to at a glance since it has shimmin procedures and not shimming procedures.

Edit: took a 2nd peek and yeah, that's the f body manual with the single cone syncros.

Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Wow, and hope you can find the parts timely.

I offer no T56 input, just general info. If IIRC when you were in need of a clutch I'll guess the reverse gear/ring took some abuse. I don't believe there is much else than can put that much wear on them.

• Agree

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
That reverse is more hammered than any of mine were, and I replaced the Corvette's gear so yeah if you can I'd spring for it. TX Drivetrain looks to sell the same keys as what I mentioned, just for more money so you're good there. They're billet chromoly. It's not just the height that looks different on that 2nd, it's the profile too. I noticed some updates and nuances in the C6 box vs my C5 similar to that. Manual appears to be what I was alluding to at a glance since it has shimmin procedures and not shimming procedures.

Edit: took a 2nd peek and yeah, that's the f body manual with the single cone syncros.

Yeah I bet this is going to take another $750 in parts to make it useable. If you replaced yours and it was better, mine is a prime candidate.

Needs a $130 reverse gear and main shaft. Called TX drivetrain and they offer a $100 service to repair the spline, but their machine shop guy is sick so they aren't taking any additional work. Gotta get a replacement part for $270 :/

He also said to check the ID splines on the 5/6 gear, sometimes if the shaft is worn the gear is too. Another $100.

Now I see why a new/reman t56 is $3000+ and a unknown used one is $500 lol.

Wow, and hope you can find the parts timely.

I offer no T56 input, just general info. If IIRC when you were in need of a clutch I'll guess the reverse gear/ring took some abuse. I don't believe there is much else than can put that much wear on them.

Yeah I had issues at Byron last fall. Having to back into the burnout box is a great idea track cleanliness wise but made racing really hard as the car is grumpy to go into reverse.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
SOB

Turns out the SSR T400 32 spline output shaft costs the same as the t350/4l60e spec 27 spline output shaft

So now I am looking at what it takes to put an SSR output shaft in. I'd need to get a new slip yoke but as I already twisted a cheap 27 spline unit 5 years ago and went to a SONNAX part, it might be a good time to just put the t400 style big boy output in.

Reactions: 1 user

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
SOB

Turns out the SSR T400 32 spline output shaft costs the same as the t350/4l60e spec 27 spline output shaft

So now I am looking at what it takes to put an SSR output shaft in. I'd need to get a new slip yoke but as I already twisted a cheap 27 spline unit 5 years ago and went to a SONNAX part, it might be a good time to just put the t400 style big boy output in.

I think I still have some of the parts from this conversion, the tone ring and the output bushing.

All you need is to bore the output housing and the tone ring and bushing (if I recall correctly). It's actually pretty easy.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I think I still have some of the parts from this conversion, the tone ring and the output bushing.

All you need is to bore the output housing and the tone ring and bushing (if I recall correctly). It's actually pretty easy.

Don't need to change any gears or bearings besides the output shaft bushing?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor