BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I struck out with the local yards on getting a drivers side inner fender extension so I ended up trading some parts with another member (Thanks Kevin!).

Installed it today and we're good!
1592589387554.png

And time to work on the filter. I have always just had this cone filter in the fender, but I'm looking to move it out of the engine bay for some cooler air.
1592589402198.png

I've always just ran a J pipe into the headlight bucket for cold air at the track, but I am looking to do something like this all the time, and now with the inner fender liner I feel a bit safer now.
1592589451770.png

Problem if I just stick the filter on the bottom of the tube it sticks down too far so I'm not too keen.
1592589570298.png

I need to decide if I want to put another 90 on the pipe and point the filter back, or drill a 4" hole in the inner fender and route my J pipe 10" farther back and then put a 90 on that and point the filter forward.

Then I need to find some 1/16 or 1/8" plastic sheeting and cut to shape & bolt to the bottom of the car as kinda a air dam of some type and keep any water out of there.

Reactions: 5 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Those inner fender extensions are like hen's teeth. I lucked out and found an NOS one on one side and Donovan pulled the other off a car up there in Calgary for me. He even cleaned it up and painted the bolts. What a guy.

Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Those inner fender extensions are like hen's teeth. I lucked out and found an NOS one on one side and Donovan pulled the other off a car up there in Calgary for me. He even cleaned it up and painted the bolts. What a guy.

Yeah I thought they would be a no problem part to find in the yard I hit up that has probably ~250 G bodies but I found out they are 81-87 GP only and the yard only had 2 GP's. Of course 3 of the 4 extensions were were destroyed and I grabbed the one that was mostly there but the bottom tab was broke off.

Kevin mentioned he found a few GP's and this was the only good one on them all.

These are a part that is screaming for a repop.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Pulled vacuum on the AC system last night and seemed to hold so I let it sit to make sure it's OK

And it didn't hold overnight.

So now I gotta hunt down a tiny leak. Great....

1593525854347.png

• Sad

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Tiny leaks can be a royal PITA to find. Often easier to charge the system with dye for a day and use a uv light to find the leak

• Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Pulled vacuum on the AC system last night and seemed to hold so I let it sit to make sure it's OK

And it didn't hold overnight.

So now I gotta hunt down a tiny leak. Great....

View attachment 150305

I know your pain, the wagon lost its charge over the Winter. Weird. And painful.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I know your pain, the wagon lost its charge over the Winter. Weird. And painful.

I was going to ask, how do you trigger the fan when the AC turns on with the LS?

I have the AC clutch signal wire from the G body chassis AC harness just going straight to the AC clutch. Basically using nothing LS PCM related at this point to do anything AC related.

I realized I have no method to turn on the electric fan when the AC turns on. I can't just give a second feed wire to the existing electric fan relay that the ECM controls with the coolant temp switch since the LS PCM controls the fan via switched ground and all I have is a switched 12V.

I saw some people just send the G body AC 12V signal wire to the PCM AC request pin and then send that wire to a relay which then goes back to the AC clutch. However, I don't have any of the LS based AC pressure switches in my system however so I'm not sure the LS pcm will work unless those are hooked up.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Tiny leaks can be a royal PITA to find. Often easier to charge the system with dye for a day and use a uv light to find the leak

Sadly I think you are right. I had a little charge left over in the high side of the gage manifold that I shot in the system, maybe 10 psi, and I heard a slight hissing coming from around the drier, so I have at least a possible source to start looking, but not anything great.

Reactions: 1 user

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I was going to ask, how do you trigger the fan when the AC turns on with the LS?

I have the AC clutch signal wire from the G body chassis AC harness just going straight to the AC clutch. Basically using nothing LS PCM related at this point to do anything AC related.

I realized I have no method to turn on the electric fan when the AC turns on. I can't just give a second feed wire to the existing electric fan relay that the ECM controls with the coolant temp switch since the LS PCM controls the fan via switched ground and all I have is a switched 12V.

I saw some people just send the G body AC 12V signal wire to the PCM AC request pin and then send that wire to a relay which then goes back to the AC clutch. However, I don't have any of the LS based AC pressure switches in my system however so I'm not sure the LS pcm will work unless those are hooked up.

Dur, never mind. I forgot to check LT1 swap. Yep, thats easy.

1593528352961.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Finally found a steering wheel on fleabay to replace ole beef jerky.

Factory 86-88 gt fiero wheel with the leather in 8/10 shape. Best part is it's darker and matches the seats better anyways.

It was $75 so cheaper than a recovered one and I think the reason it was cheap was because the plastic trim was broken but that was fine with me since I swap the 2+2 set on since the offsets are different.

I just need to get some 1/8 rivets and I'll get it back on!

IMG_20200705_222511.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor