BUILD THREAD 86 GP 2+2~Blown 6.0

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Picked my new driveshaft up from the shop today.

It looks good, hopefully it won't shake this time. Old one was 3.5" and this is 3". Guy says the 3" shafts will take 600+HP no prob so I took his word.

They aren't cheap. $400 and I supplied the yoke. I looked and parts alone are $180 before tax so it is what it is I guess. I've never felt good dumping that much on a driveshaft but he wasn't as bad priced as going through any of the other online supplier.

I'm waiting on some ball joint boots for my front control arm replacement I'm working on swapping. I'll probably get those on later this week and be back to driving!

IMG_20200811_180554.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Found out to make a continental flex sensor work out of the car you need a 5k ohm pull up resistor. Brought the sensor to work and tested it with the oscilloscope.

50hz in the air and 170 in water. Sensor is good. I have wiring or tune issues.
IMG_20200814_120713.jpg

IMG_20200814_120851.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Makin' parts for the ball joint boots

1598035609770.png

1598035617190.png

Reactions: 7 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
  • Agree
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I'm jealous. I would love to have something like that. I could make my own wheel adapters and stuff.

I honestly don't know how people live without a lathe. This car has a few dozen parts I have turned on it.

I bought my big 1942 Monarch in '16 and it's sitting at my friends shop still in IA. I intend to haul it to my house but need to do some more garage renovation to make it fit.

Good news is the University has lathes I can run into and use so I am not lathe-less :)

Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Well the car has been down coming up on a month for a driveshaft swap and some simple front suspension work. I'm burning nice weather on jackstands so it's time to get a move on.

I've never had good luck getting negative camber in this car. The passenger side upper control arm just about hit the header and prevented me from getting anything more than like +0.5 degrees of camber in the thing. Plus my upper ball joints and bushings were shot so I decided to go to an aftermarket style adjustable arm. Add onto the fact my year old front tires are starting to wear funny because I can't get it aligned made me act now instead of this winter.

MC96 on the forum here had some nice adjustable uppers he put together that fit my needs so I decided on his set. Rebuildable Howe upper ball joint so I can swap stud length as I want, added caster, and competitive price with nice parts.

Only issue is the upper ball joint didn't have a boot since it's more of a race oriented part and I lost the travel limiter which every adjustable arm losses anyways.

I turned a press on sleeve which fit on the arm and robbed a boot off another g body upper ball joint and solved that problem.

Bought some steel cable and built some travel limiters. Welded a log chain link I cut in half to the steering stop and a bolt to the frame.

Drivers side is done. I'll wrap up the passenger side tomorrow evening. It's been so blasted hot that I get about 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours at night where I can do something outside otherwise I'm sweating parts of my body off that I'd rather keep. Add on family/freinds visiting, commitments I'm supposed to fulfill and my phone battery being almost shot and I have essentially a landline now I'm not doing the best job getting stuff done or reporting it.

Sept 8th the 1/8 mile track 70 miles away is having a test and tune. I need to get the car out and do a few shakedown passes before I take the car on drag weekend. I'm going to use dad's tire machine and mount my new DR's on the wheels and see how it launches with the new rear and tires.

I've also got a shift light on the way so I don't have to rely on the tach to shift so I can concentrate on going straight a bit more ;)

Maybe get my flex sensor working too and start packing my tools and stuff for racing. There's a 50 car cap on drag weekend this year and quite a few new people going so it should be pretty fun. The main promotor/planners of the event are trying to get their car done (this green Nova) so there are some decently serious setups going. He had a 5.3 that ran a 7.90ish a few years ago and has spent the last few years going full 25.3 514 BBC on the car so it it should be pretty fun watching this car make a 800 mile trip. Theres at least 3 high 4 low 5 second 1/8 mile capable cars going so I'm looking forward to just running 11.50's and maybe a 10.99 the last day :)
FB_IMG_1598241164378.jpg

New travel limiters
IMG_20200823_203532.jpg

Clearance! Dodging the caliper and spindle through the entire range of motion was kinda a pain.
IMG_20200823_203455.jpg

At full bump stop
IMG_20200823_203731.jpg

My boot and sleeve I turned
IMG_20200823_192932.jpg

And the arm.
IMG_20200823_211251.jpg

Reactions: 9 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Let me know if that isnt enough caster for you, I can shoot you a pair of longer bolts and a spacer for under the forward rod end. That will clear the mount without having to hammer on it.

Im sure you have gobs of header clearance now too?

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I got the passenger side A arm installed last night and am working through the last bits of my alignment so not much to report there. Its that whole turn something, make a measurement, do trig, and repeat. Kinda brain draining so I'm doing a bit each night so I don't gouge me eyes out from all the math I am doing at 10pm.

The good news, and one of the main reason I went with these arms is to gain header clearance. They work! :) I actually had the stock arm cut to clear the arm so they have a lot of clearance now.
1598499950008.png

And what in the flying spaghetti god is going on here?

1598500090856.png

As you may have known if you keep up, I did the flex fuel conversion on the car this spring and have been unable to read ethanol content in the computer It went to default which was 37% flex. I was always getting a low frequency error with a p0178 if recall. I had to go real deep and damn near shipped the car to a pro tuner but I stuck at it and I think I solved it.

1st I thought i had a bad sensor since I wasn't able to read a 50-150hz signal at the pcm with a borrowed multimeter. My electrical engineer buddy said frequency is tough to measure with a miltimeter and you need an osciliscope really.

2nd I looked at the tune REALLY good and still didnt find anything, the PCM was a factory flex PCM so it shouldnt have an issue

Side tangent I got stuck into was the PCM sometimes wont poll the sensor but I found that is probably BS and a tangent I shouldnt have got down.

3rd I emailed a few people and got the same response, check ground! check power! check continutity! I did all of those things 20 times and no solution

4th I gave up and bought a new flex sensor, installed and no fix

5th I dug REAL deep and found you need a 2k pullup resistor between the signal wire and the voltage supply in order to measure with a DMM or scope

6th I brought my old sensor to work (my university lab) and used the oscilloscope and a resistor and a cup of water to check frequency, finally a breakthrough, the old sensor was always OK, I was able to read frequency

7th I tried reading frequency on the car with the multimeter using the 2k ohm resistor to 12V under the hood where it plugs into the PCM, no go, really noisy 5khz signal and nothing useful

8th I tested the spare old sensor with the multimeter, it worked. OK, either the sensor on the car is bad or the wiring is bad somehow

9th I put the pullup resistor in the signal wire running to the PCM to 12V under the engine bay and removed the wiring harness to the sensor under the car and stripped the insulation on the soldered joint where I spliced the GM flex plug into the old rear 02 sensor wiring that I repurposed for power, ground and signal. I was measuring signal 2" from the sensor and still nothing.

10th I cut the damn signal wire and moved the pullup resistor directly between the spliced power wire and the signal wire 2" from the sensor. FINALLY I got signal. It turns out SOMETHING in the old rear 02 sensor wire i repurposed was causing the signal to get all jumbled up. It always had continuity but might be a resistance wire, has a slight short in the insulation or something

11th I reran a new wire from the flex sensor on the passenger side to the cut off factory flex signal wire on the drivers side of the harness by the trans (since this harness was always a factory flex harness and I never knew). I then moved the pullup resistor back under the hood and measured on the signal wire pin going to the PCM. It works, good.

12th I plugged in the signal wire to the PCM and connected my HPtuners, no signal. SOB

13th I remembered I had the non flex PCM installed so I quick swapped the PCM to the 02 flex tahoe PCM

14th I reconnected HP tuners and TADA

2.7% flex, eff yeah.

I'll fully admit, this took 6 months to figure out and took a good amount of my troubleshooting brain power. Each step was probably a few hours of reading matched with a few hours of hardware troubleshooting. I'm guessing I have 70 hours in solving this problem. Not kidding. All because I saved my self 5 minutes 6 months ago and reused the rear 02 signal wire.

I still have to pull a new wire and solder it in place but that's a task for another day.

Ohh, BTW, that 108F intake air temp is maybe a bit elevated since I idled the car for 20 seconds, but its not far off. It was 95 today with all the humidity or some BS and that's too hot for me. If the high temp never gets above 0F for me, it's cold. If the temp never gets below 75F all day, it's hot in my books. I can tell you for the past 4 days it's been hot.

1598501104043.png

• Winner
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I hate issues like that, but I'm also proud when I figure them out, as you should be. Good job!

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Well it's been darn near a month for simple upgrades but the car is road worthy again.

And I'm happy! The car is much smoother at highway speeds with the new driveshaft, no vibration for the first time in 3 years. Car drives straight, smooth and comfy! One step and a time!

Needed a 6ft chunk of wire to connect the flex sensor to the harness and I was picky and wanted a white one so I took out my stack of 3 spare LS wiring harness and snipped them apart and robbed some wire. Soldered it together and had to rerun most of the wire harness under the car around the trans. But it's there and reading content. Now I need to rebuild the whole damn fuel table!

Then I wired up my shift light. Need to mount it better as right now it's just zip tied to the steering column.
IMG_20200828_231409.jpg

And finished up with an alignment. Finally I was able to get -0.5 degrees of camber in the thing and I was lucky and didn't need to touch the toe! Score!

My cheap alignment tools :) I did some trig and figured out where on the bubble 0.5 degrees was.
IMG_20200828_215932.jpg

IMG_20200828_221837.jpg

IMG_20200828_222457.jpg

IMG_20200828_222502.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor