BUILD THREAD 86 MCSS - Rejuvenation Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
So, after rebuilding the starter and distributor, removing the carb but not rebuilding it, cleaning/gapping spark plugs and correctly routing ign wires, installing a mild shift kit, changing diff and engine oil, rehabbing the inst panel and repairing broken plastic, fixing various wiring damages and cleaning grounds, gutting and cleaning interior and restuffing seats, reparing console, fixing minor rust issues, new door hinge pins and striker rehab, checking and rerouting emission hoses, updating brake hoses, servicing brakes and front bearings, sealing windshield and wiper cowl, and hooking up the battery...lo and behold - it started after 5 seconds of cranking. I aint done yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
To Do List: rear bumper, front clip, interior trim pieces, polish &paint wheels, adjust carb and timing, recheck emission parts, source cause of high speed vibration, and lot's of small stuff...I should be done, say... November 2017, when its time to put it away for the winter.:doh:

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
This is probably overkill but now that the car is on all four wheels, I levelled it left to right, so I can retorque all new body mounts in preparation for door adjustment and fender install and adjustment.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Does it seem reasonable that replacing all body bushings, driver's side hinge rebuild, pass door adjustment(hinges were tight but door fit was poor) that the fender shim positions were not placed as the original build? Could it be that replacing the mounts and adjusting door fit causes all body panels ahead of the doors to line up different? I'm happy with the result - but man O' man, the hours of work to get it this far.
-a few observations: pass door is 1/16" shorter, the pass door lead edge profile does not match the fender in gap and contour - in the 80's there were less computerized manufacturing tolerances and consistencies in dimensions( in the era of Pong - a computer tennis game)
P1120075.JPG
P1120091.JPG
P1120092.JPG
P1120090.JPG
P1120088.JPG

PS: If anyone needs a hand in adjusting panel fit - please don't call. I can give my advice, though:)

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
1/8" is close enough for construction and G-body build tolerances - don't sweat it. I almost lost it trying to get the wagon "better" - and it still isn't.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Gaps look good Ed!

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
  • Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Hood and header panel are installed. Much time spent 'getting it right'. Removing the interior door panels for washing. Next winter I'll rebuild the guts of the doors.Pics pending.
Funny thought - I spent hundreds of hours on the car and it still looks the same to the casual observer.

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor