Attachments

• 16021128388524738081611272848706.jpg
    16021128388524738081611272848706.jpg
    722.5 KB · Views: 215

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
It's just spinning at the moment but I will check when I get home tonight and see if that works
You might need to grind the head of the bolt off at that rate, it’s likely that the U-clip has broken.

As far as retrofit lifters go, you’re not really going to find good ones cheap. And have you had those camel humps measured on a flow bench?

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
For what you want you might be better off finding an l31 vortec 350. Factory roller cam setup. Vortec heads are much better then camel humps. You'd have to buy a vortec intake and figure out a fuel pump but retrofit roller kits are outrageous.
The camel humps will need hardened exhaust valve seats, screw in or pinned studs, beehive or dual springs to run an aggressive roller cam. That's assuming they're in good enough shape to get built. Also alot don't have acc bolt holes. By the time you do all that you got 800 in a set of 60 yr old heads. A set of aluminum ebay heads or vortecs would be a better investment imo. Also just because you have roller rockers doesn't mean you have to use a roller cam/lifters.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

DocG G-edi Master

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2017
I am enjoying reading every bit of your post. Reminding me of many years gone by , and MANY headaches working on cars . But I loved it as you obviously do. As for the engine a roller cam motor is great for the street. RabbitHoleSS nailed it . The Comp cams Thumper kit rocks. You can get great performance from a set of Vortec heads as they came on many Chevys stock I think after 1996. And they are fairly cheap, So keep on Rockin that Monte and Have Fun !!!

Reactions: 1 users

Montepit87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2020
You might need to grind the head of the bolt off at that rate, it’s likely that the U-clip has broken.

As far as retrofit lifters go, you’re not really going to find good ones cheap. And have you had those camel humps measured on a flow bench?
I bought them from my dads coworker they were rebuilt in the 90s and never ran. They had a 3 angle valve job. I paid in total $350 because I owed him money for a motor that I broke or already had a broken piston. I could if I had the money and I probably won't anytime too soon. I'm sticking with the hump heads for now. I have 2 intakes I plan to sell or trade for a good dual plane.

Montepit87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2020
I am enjoying reading every bit of your post. Reminding me of many years gone by , and MANY headaches working on cars . But I loved it as you obviously do. As for the engine a roller cam motor is great for the street. RabbitHoleSS nailed it . The Comp cams Thumper kit rocks. You can get great performance from a set of Vortec heads as they came on many Chevys stock I think after 1996. And they are fairly cheap, So keep on Rockin that Monte and Have Fun !!!
I'll try to but these wrenches keep flying at my car for some reason!

Montepit87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2020
For what you want you might be better off finding an l31 vortec 350. Factory roller cam setup. Vortec heads are much better then camel humps. You'd have to buy a vortec intake and figure out a fuel pump but retrofit roller kits are outrageous.
The camel humps will need hardened exhaust valve seats, screw in or pinned studs, beehive or dual springs to run an aggressive roller cam. That's assuming they're in good enough shape to get built. Also alot don't have acc bolt holes. By the time you do all that you got 800 in a set of 60 yr old heads. A set of aluminum ebay heads or vortecs would be a better investment imo. Also just because you have roller rockers doesn't mean you have to use a roller cam/lifters.
They've already had a 3 angle valve job. I am sticking with it. I got them in the plastic and I got a receipt. Thanks for the help and advice!

Montepit87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2020

Yeah then I gotta buy and angle grinder and discs cause I planned on borrowing my dads cause his disappeared at some point or another. I got to weld on his maverick this last weekend cause we finally shaved the shock towers.

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I bought them from my dads coworker they were rebuilt in the 90s and never ran. They had a 3 angle valve job. I paid in total $350 because I owed him money for a motor that I broke or already had a broken piston. I could if I had the money and I probably won't anytime too soon. I'm sticking with the hump heads for now. I have 2 intakes I plan to sell or trade for a good dual plane.
Alright, what are you after performance wise? Do you want a cruiser, or something more aggressive? Camels are nice if they’ve had work done to them but if you’ve got 1.94s and 1.5s they might be stock (I’ve got to look at my charts again).

Montepit87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 14, 2020
Alright, what are you after performance wise? Do you want a cruiser, or something more aggressive? Camels are nice if they’ve had work done to them but if you’ve got 1.94s and 1.5s they might be stock (I’ve got to look at my charts again).
I want a street/ strip car and the 1.94s and 1.50s are both stock to the motor but they've been replaced as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor