A new & improved thread on my exhaust joys. Making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Pypes is a disgrace, how do they sell anything? I saw how their Olds down pipes fit on a 68 Hurst/Olds, no good. One had to be cut and modified with factory manifolds. The Jeggs and Summit kits, they are cheap, if there are minor issues one can live with them. I am going with the Ram Air Restorations or Rocket Racing 2.5" aluminized down pipes with Thornton headers, both actually fit. Here is the link
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forum...haust-users-issues.html?highlight=Pypes+pipes

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
OK, pulled the trigger on those Flowmasters (and a cheap TCI sticker to hit $150) since I had that Jegs code to get the order for $130. Sucks they'll be ship from Cali from Flowmaster but not on my dime. Now I'll have to start selling off the unneed stuff: the Pypes down pipes & X-pipe (but I want to butcher that up for an alterantive set of intermediate pipes with out the X), & the Jegs stainless mufflers (still going to use the Pypes mufflers.) I still haven't fugured out the fate of the Pypes tailpipes yet,

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Since I did get the flair done I still mocked up the pipe. No good cause if I was to repair the splits with welding I'd still have to grind every thing down just right so it seals evenly. But the expansion done on the other end was perfect to go inside a 2.5" O.D. pipe. Shame it had to be cut off. So now I'll offically put the home brewed pipes on the back burner until I see what happens with the new prebent set.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow.... So glad I made my own exhaust after seeing this ordeal.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got the down pipes, slapped them on real fast to see if they'll fit OK. Looks like they'll work. They definitely fit way better that the Pypes set (seems like a trend with their pipes.) The only tight spot is where the drivers side comes near the lower control arm mount. They still need trimmed down but shouldn't have an issue lining up with the Jegs kit. Even looks like the cat will work on the passenger side.

Attachments

• DSCN3633.JPG
    DSCN3633.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 404
  • DSCN3634.JPG
    DSCN3634.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 436
  • DSCN3635.JPG
    DSCN3635.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 397
  • DSCN3637.JPG
    DSCN3637.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 398
  • DSCN3632.JPG
    DSCN3632.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 434

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
It sucks that parts don fit like they should anymore, but it looks like your making good headway though in the end it may wind up costing you your sanity. As far as the ds control arm clearance it looks like a few well placed love taps with a ball peen should take care of it. It sucks to have to take a hammer to nice new pipes but sometimes thats what it takes or else nip off a bit of the control arm mount with a grinder or a saw.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Got some work done on the drivers side down pipe. Got it cut down for the cat (yea I know, why bother but just doing it as a CYA) & did some custom dings to help clear the control arm mount. Working to see where I'll need to trim the intermediate pipe I found out why it was so close to the X-member, somebody forgot to measure the length of the Pypes mufflers to the included mufflers. 2.25" longer for the Pypes mufflers so I'll have to take that much out of the tailpipes as there is more than enough to cut off. Other than that it does look like the drivers side will go together easily with my set up, just need to tweek the tailpipe positioning & get a good hanger. After this side is done I'll takle the passenger side since I'll need to make sure the cat will sit under the heat shield in a somewhat stock location.

Reactions: 1 user

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I did get the drivers side tailpipe trimmed down at the muffler end & it made the intermediate pipe clear the G Force X-member like is should. All I'll need to do is the final positioning of the tail, find a the right hanger that will work at the muffler, then get the intermediate trimed at the cat end & I'll atleast have one side done. Now if I could get enough time to keep working on it instead of doing things for the wife.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
OK I can say I have the drivers side done. :banana: Didn't put the cat on since I wanted to make sure everything lines up. I have used some of the pieces I have to make a make shift union so I can double check where the cat will sit. Now to the passenger side. It is tight to get the cat where I want it, getting the alinement right, then make sure it won't look half assed. I've got onto the idea of a "cat" test pipe (https://www.siliconeintakes.com/dsm-intercooler-piping/catalytic-converter-p-331.html) so I could still have something I could hack to fit with out the worry of function issues. But it does look like things will fit better just saying hell with the cats.

Attachments

• DSCN3663.JPG
    DSCN3663.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 385
  • DSCN3664.JPG
    DSCN3664.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 404
  • DSCN3665.JPG
    DSCN3665.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 407
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor