A Very Sad Day.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
well, my motor is junk. My dad was working on my motor back home.... 6 more pushrods bent, he snapped one in half inside the motor. (the Cam timing was off) missed up everything.... he tore the motor down to get the broken pushrod, and found that the lifters and my cam are screwed! :cry:

How much would it take to rebuild the motor if i deside to put everything back to original.
or
How much would it cost me to drop in an Olds 350 Rocket

---- never done a engine swap or rebuild, whats all involved.

78 salon

Greasemonkey
May 3, 2009
Brookfield, Ill
If your junk engine is a 307, swapping in a 350 sbo is a straight swap. Rebuild costs depend on what has to be done machineshop wise and what parts need to be replaced.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
307's are not usually worth rebuilding, everything on the front will swap over to an olds 350. if you can find a running 350 reasonably, it doesn't cost more than a couple hundred for gaskets,fluids,belts ect. The small parts are what add up cost wise.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Hmmm I'd vote to say the 307 is not worth rebuilding but at the end of the day you have all the parts for it? At the same time you basicly have all the parts you need for a 350 olds.

Maybe even investegate going with a sbc.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
WyoKid said:
never done a engine swap...

No problems. It's nothing more than unbolting stuff, lifting the old engine out, lowering new one in, and bolting all the parts back on. It may take you some time, but most anyone can do it.

....or rebuild

I would advise againsts doing this yourself then. There's alot more involved to do the job right than most will lead you to believe. If you want to learn how to rebuild engines, do it with a spare engine over a period of time. Get a good teacher too. And to note; a re-gasket, re-ring job is not a proper rebuild anymore so than just washing your car is a full-on detail job. That's my opinion.

I would strongly suggest just finding a decent running Olds 350 ( or even 403 ), and drop it right in. If you have the money and want a strong running engine that's been rebuilt correctly the first time around, then there are Olds specific vendors that can do that for you. Do NOT go to Rocket Racing as the owner John Stolpa is a lying crook.

Do NOT put a SBC in it!

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
When I was in the Chicago suburbs people wanted absurd money for olds engines up there I ended up just getting another 307 for my time being & it set me back only a few hundred for the engine. 307's suck but they aren't too bad on fuel and they sure are worthless. Plenty of trashed cars w/ running 307's will be scrapped this year. If you can't afford to spend a few thousand dollars you will have to just get a 307 and reuse your accessories all over again or just accept the fact your car won't be on the road this season it's tough reality but have to face it!

Dburger

G-Body Guru
Jun 1, 2012
I'd rebuild the original engine.

UgotBronx

Greasemonkey
Nov 10, 2012
NY
Been there just went thru it.. had a 307 and now a 350 olds engine i found for $750 but the labor costs a lot. in parts you are looking at another $500- tops if you have to buy new wires, plugs, cap, rotor starter,belts hoses , fluids ,gaskets, motor mounts, cables

And if you do go that route make sure that if you are going to do anything with the headers/exhaust do it before the engine goes into the car or else you will have to jack up the engine to fit in headers

Put a heat shield on your starter, Use heavy gauge battery cables and terminals.

everything off my 307 swapped over only had to mess with the headers.

Good Luck!

Hoopty_Mike

Greasemonkey
Aug 5, 2012
CT
It depends on how tight you are for money. On CL in my area there's a couple 307's floating around for 150-300 bucks. You could get something like that, clean up the long block bolt everything on and be done with it. I would personally go with a good low mileage 350/403 SBO, do gaskets/paint and enjoy it. The ECM stuff would work nice on a low compression engine, but can be finicky if you're not too familiar with it.

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Olds 350. 1968-72 if you can find one. You'd be a lot happier with the 350 vs the 307. But if you found a known running 307 for a couple hundred bucks, you could drop that in for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor