AC notch or relocation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
I know for the AC Theres 2 options, but the relocation kit or notch the frame. I was wondering if anybody here has notched the frame for the AC and has pics or something?
I saw a kit to notch the frame on a Z28 and it really didn't look like such a big deal. I do know the Gbady is different but if the notch is not rediculously huge it be nicer to just leave the AC compressor down there instead of adding clutter to the top of the engine bay.

bigmandengo

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2010
No need to notch if you're using a truck accessory drive. The compressor easily clears the frame.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
Really I thought it wouldnt fit but now that you mention it the car accessories are closer to the engine and the truck ones a little further out? is that why.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I bought the Holley accessory kit for high mount Sanden compressor. This made sense for me at the time because it looks like a factory install and the factory AC lines can be modified to work. If I had to do it again, I would notch the frame. I agree that on a G body it isn't that much work. Mounting the compressor low would lower the center of gravity and free up under hood space needed for a future turbo manifold log on passenger side.

bigmandengo

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2010
Really I thought it wouldnt fit but now that you mention it the car accessories are closer to the engine and the truck ones a little further out? is that why.

Yes, the truck spacing allows the low mount compressor to clear without a notch. I have nearly an inch of clearance.

bigmandengo

Apprentice
Oct 16, 2010
Did you use 1 inch set back mounts? Or what did you use for motor mounts

I used spohn swap mounts. You cannot use plate style mounts with a low mount compressor. The plates occupy the same space as the compressor.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor