Advice for GOOD tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
245/45/17 are stock size for a load of different Mustangs so they tend to be easy to find and cheaper than similar sizes. I run them on my Malibu 4dr. Right now I have Federal super steel 595 on the rear and they suck. It tracks all over and tread life is low. Had some falken ze950 that wouldn't tolerate the cars power even when new. Became straight scary at half tread life, would spin wildly at half throttle, like driving on ice. They are on the front now and I don't care for them there either. Had some sentury uhp cheapies that were quite good. Car tracked nice, was predictable, and would actually hook and go above half tread life. I would definitely run them again.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
cooper cobras over here. i dig em, do really well in the snow, never got stuck. it was either the severe -20 to -30 degree cold, or the massive bombing sized potholes, but they got splits in them now. still good in other aspects. and ive done quite a few burnouts, rear tires are only about 1/3 gone.

Gpdreamer

Apprentice
Mar 22, 2018
I just put Michelin 235/50/17 on the back of my GP for $116 a tire and 225/45/17 for $143 on the front. This is WI.

79centurytc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2015
From my own experience, (I've been selling tires for a living for the past six years), I would recommend either Uniroyal, General, Bridgestone or Continental. Any tire lower then a 50 series will effect the ride quality. Love the Uniroyals on my 79 Century Turbo Coupe. My 2014 Cruze came with Continentals & havebeen really happy with them. My wife's 2003 Saturn Vue came With Bridgestone Duelers & it's on it second set now. In my job, I've seen good results with the Generals.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
My favorite tires from 17"-22" are Nitto NT555. I've ran those on my '83 Cutlass, '94 Impala SS, and my '12 Camaro 2SS; I love those tires.
Agreed. I haven't got the Cutlass road ready yet, but the new generation NT555G2 is a sweet *ss looking tire!!!...
20181220_153813.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Nitto nt555 extremes here too

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
The ride is in the side wall. Low profile due to lack of side wall run rougher, Michelin are nice but have soft so wall so more susceptible to road hazard. I have 15" BFG's radial TA's on my El C.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
The ride is in the side wall. Low profile due to lack of side wall run rougher, Michelin are nice but have soft so wall so more susceptible to road hazard. I have 15" BFG's radial TA's on my El C.
I ran BFG on my elcamino. Probably five sets on that car. They rode and drove nice, didn't last real long and I don't think they would tolerate the power my crew cab Malibu makes.

Dar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 18, 2016
Thanks a lot for the excellent feedback and diverse opinions. I'm also partial to Michelin from running their tires on a motorcycle. Dunlop too on the MC, but haven't tried their auto tires.
I ended up going a low-cost route of some mildly run Michelin Pilot Super Sports, in 235/45r18. This tire size equates to a diameter of 26.3in which is ever so close to the stock size of 26in. Again, I'll be moving from 19in to 18in wheels, so looking forward to improved ride and performance, including lighter weight.
Tomorrow I'll have them mounted and balanced, and hope to have a few photos and driving impressions this weekend.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor